Mathematics | Teen Ink

Mathematics

October 3, 2023
By taylormanne06 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
taylormanne06 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
15 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Ever since middle school I have been fascinated with the concepts learned in the variety of math classes that I have taken. This is partly due to the teachers that helped me get to where I am today. All of my teachers have been incredibly helpful— each offering their planning periods as extra help time for the kids that need help on a specific subject or topic. I have used this opportunity to come in out of class and get help from various math teachers, and each teacher would spend their time helping me understand what I previously was struggling with. Growing up as a shy kid, it was difficult for me to step out of my comfort zone and come in and get help from a teacher one-on-one, but if not for this I would have had a more difficult time comprehending. Because of this, I am stronger at math than I would have been without this.

A unique factor that students have today that they didn't have ten plus years ago would be that students now have the use of technology. We now have expensive graphing calculators such as the TI-Nspire that can basically solve any equation, and we have online videos and podcasts that help to explain topics. If a student is struggling outside of school all they have to do is look up the general lesson and find videos that help explain the question. I have used Youtube, Khan Academy, and other websites similar to these to help me understand math topics countless times. When I was learning algebra for the first time in 2020 during Covid, I was using all of these resources daily to help me learn the subject by myself. With the use of technology, students like me, have an easier time gaining the knowledge of different units while at home.