live without | Teen Ink

live without

September 28, 2023
By AHSkaydn SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
AHSkaydn SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I would save a candle when I was younger my grandpa used to always would light a candle so I think I would save the spooky candle he always lighted when I was over at his house gave a warm feeling to the house almost welcoming. So whenever I am feeling down I can smell the candle This means a lot to me to save the candle because it is one of the memories I have of my grandpa before he passed away.

 I remember when I went over to his house the scent of the candle smelt so good and there my grandpa was with a lot of snacks and a candle on the living room table giving a warm glow to the room.

 This is better than me saving something with a money value compared to something that has a value that is worth far more than any kind of money.

The spooky candle is important because I want to pass down almost like a tridation to my grandkids with this candle for it will hopefully have a strong meaning like it does for me something that when I’m gone they’ll remember me for. it will always be something that I remember whenever I smell this scent I’ll always think about him. 

I don’t know what I would do without the candles that my grandpa passed down to me because this is one of my fond memories of my grandpa. It almost feels like whenever I smell the candle he’s still with me.

My grandpa we used to call him grandpa spooky because my sister was scared of him when she was younger because of his big beard. Grandpa spooky when he passed he had these candles that he hadn’t burned yet so I kept them.The spooky candles lay cold but warm on my ,bedside table so whenever I'm ever feeling down or thinking about my grandpa I can smell them, and it reminds me of all the good times I had with my grandpa.

They still give me nostalgia just from thinking about candles one time when I came home from football practice I was frustrated because I didn’t play to my liking, and I messed up on one of the plays. I lite the candle for just a second just enough for it to smell the entire room for it still gave me that warm feeling that it always had given.


The author's comments:

This writing came to me right away becuase of how meaningful it is to me.