That One Thing | Teen Ink

That One Thing

September 27, 2023
By Kylepierson28 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Kylepierson28 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

That One Thing

There is always that one thing. That one thing that you use every day or just sits on a shelf. That one thing that brings you joy or reminds you of something bad. That one thing that gets you from here to there or to just keep in your pocket. That one thing you just can’t live without.

Now what would you do if that thing just disappeared? Is it something that you saved your whole life for or had since day one? That might be different for every single person but for me, it's not. For me, I saved money day after day. Worked hours upon hours. And for me without a doubt in my mind, I would choose my car.

It's not just a car. It's my car. My parents didn’t pay for it, I did. I worked landscaping, construction, plowing, and even at my current job welding and making billboards. All that work to save up 15k. That was the first 17 years of my life just to buy one thing. WOW. And still, it is just a thing. You truly know that something is yours when you notice that it matters a lot more. More because you did it. Like waking up on Christmas day when you were a little kid.

Now this is a pretty big thing. My 2009 Subaru STI can take me from school to the gym, and to work. Not to mention that ski hill I go to every weekend in the winter, or to hang out with my cousins, or just to run to the gas station. It does not need to be fast, but I wanted it to be. It does not need to look cool, but I wanted it to be. It doesn't even need to have all the bells and whistles, but I wanted it to be. That loud exhaust isn't a necessity, and you don't need that big turbo to make the car run. But this is my car and it has everything I wanted it to be.

It’s pretty simple, if you don’t have that special little thing your mom gave you before she died, or the sweater your grandma made. What would you truly pick? The thing you did! The thing that is special in your life, and not from anyone else. There is not a lot of sentimental value in a car, but there is a lot to be made.