Nuggies, Nuggies, Nuggies! | Teen Ink

Nuggies, Nuggies, Nuggies!

September 27, 2023
By madelinemayhew GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
madelinemayhew GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
16 articles 0 photos 0 comments

As a kid we always have something we need to have by our side because it’s our favorite thing we cannot live without it. And as we get older, different things become important. On the day I was born, I was given two small blankets. One being a purple baby blanket with giraffes on it and another being a pink woven blanket. From the moment I could speak, I called them “Nuggies”. Nuggies kept me warm as a little baby, comforted me when I was sick, and came on all of the trips that I went on. They will always be special, filled with so much love.

The pink handmade nuggie was always my favorite (Don’t tell purple nuggie that). The coldness my fingers felt as they peeked through the holes of the pink nuggie gives me nostalgia. Every night before going to bed, my mom and dad would tuck me in with nuggies by my side. I loved this because they made me feel safe and loved. I lost my purple nuggie for a while and it became less and less important to me, but if anything were to happen to my pink nuggie, I would have been devastated. After such a long time being taken everywhere, nuggies were very worn out. The pink blanket had certain strings falling out around the sides that I loved to pull at, and soon enough she was in mere shreds. My mom fixed them up by sewing new strings onto old nuggie. I cried for days straight because this was not my pink nuggie. I finally forgave my mom and went back to the way things were before but it was never the same.

Now thirteen years later, nuggie is still holding on. I can see the red permanent marker stain when Andrew and I were playing crossword on the airplane and it was my turn and my hand slipped and a big red stain and a great memory is what’s left. I can see the Spaghettios stain from when I had an obsession and I ate them for two months straight. The mascara stain is still there from when my first puppy, Buddy, died and I cried myself to sleep for nights straight. As I look at nuggie now, I can hear the stories that I have told it throughout the years. It listened. More than anyone else could.


The author's comments:

I am Madeline Mayhew and I am a Senior at Arrowhead High School. I like to read books, hang out with my friends and spend time in the sun in my free time.