Overcoming Adversity | Teen Ink

Overcoming Adversity

September 25, 2023
By Lucasnelson SILVER, Miami, Florida
Lucasnelson SILVER, Miami, Florida
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

     At the start of my junior year in high school, everything seemed to be falling into place. I was excited about my classes, and my dreams of joining the varsity soccer team were finally within reach. Little did I know that my life was about to take an unexpected turn that would test my resilience in ways I could never have imagined.

      The first week of school was a whirlwind of excitement and anticipation. I reconnected with old friends and made new ones, and my academic goals were crystal clear. But during the second week, while on a family outing in Miami, my life took a sudden and dramatic detour.

     My family and I decided to spend a day wake skating in the warm, turquoise waters of Miami. The sun was shining brightly, and the ocean was inviting. I'd always been an athlete, and water sports were my passion. I'd skated countless times before, so I felt confident and eager to show off my skills.

     As I glided across the water's surface, I felt an exhilarating rush of freedom. But in the blink of an eye, everything changed. A wave caught me off balance when I landed from a jump, and I tumbled awkwardly, crashing into the water. The sharp pain in my leg was immediate and agonizing. I knew something was terribly wrong.

     My mother rushed me to the nearest hospital, where an X-ray confirmed my worst fear—a broken leg. My dreams of playing soccer, surfing, and all the sports that had defined my life were suddenly shattered. The doctor explained that I needed a cast and several months to a year of recovery, which meant I would miss out on my junior year sports season entirely.

     For four weeks I had to, once again, partake in online learning while I healed from my surgery. Returning to school with my leg encased in a cast was a humbling experience. I'd gone from being an active athlete to someone who needed help getting from one class to another. My friends were supportive, but I couldn't help but feel like a burden at times.

     The hardest part, however, was not being able to participate in the sports I loved so dearly. Watching my teammates on the soccer field or the track was a bitter pill to swallow. I felt a profound sense of loss and a longing to be out there with them, giving my all on the field.

     As the weeks turned into months, I had to adjust to my new reality. I focused on my studies more than ever before, determined not to let my broken leg derail my academic ambitions. I also discovered new interests, like music and art, which gave me an outlet for my built up energy and creativity.

     My friends and family rallied around me, providing the support and encouragement I needed to keep pushing forward. They reminded me that this setback was temporary and that I could still achieve my goals, even if the path had taken an unexpected twist.

      As I write this, I'm still in the midst of my junior year, my leg slowly healing with each passing day. While my life has taken an unexpected turn, I've learned that true strength comes from adapting to challenges and embracing the opportunities they present. My passion for sports may have temporarily dimmed, but I've discovered new passions and strengths within myself that I never knew existed. Junior year may not have unfolded as planned, but it's teaching me that resilience and determination can help me overcome any obstacle life throws my way.


The author's comments:

Lucas Nelson is a high school student who will graduate in 2025 to pursue Structural Engineering. As result of his handwork and commitment, Lucas is currently a member of different nationally recognized honors societies who holds a variety of certifications in worldwide accredited organizations and universities including courses in leadership, cultural diversity, and different areas of engineering. Although he aims for academic excellence, he is also fully invested in making this world a better place by volunteering in his community and leading projects to support causes such as helping foster children and veterans (The Purple Heart Organization). Lucas speaks four languages and is an avid athlete in different sports.