A modern day love story | Teen Ink

A modern day love story

September 7, 2023
By Anonymous

We met online, embarrassing enough out of all places, playing “Roblox”. Our first conversations began because she thought a handsome squid ward head, I wore on my avatar was ugly. We argued and decided to continue the conversation on a messaging app called Discord, The making fun of each other’s avatars continued, and we started to call each other every day to troll people nefariously and talk more in-depth about each other and our lives, and that was the start of an amazing friendship. I don’t know what it was but something about her made me feel at ease, she was like me in the opposite gender, we had the same humor, we liked the same types of music, and overall, she was so much fun. This girl brought me out of a dark place I was in at the time, and as time went on, I started to develop feelings for her. I was not keen or open to online relationships at the time, and she was with someone else on top of that, I tried to make up excuses as to not talk to her as much anymore or spend as much time as we used to because of jealousy, I’d be jealous of any guy she’d talk to for whatever the reason may be, sometimes we’d call random people and she’d sometimes become friends with the guys, and things like that killed me, I would then start to say things like I had throat pain, or I had a lot of school work, and I would just distance myself from her in general. As time went on, we grew further apart and at a point, we barely spoke, until a special day came along. 


I came back from a trip to Cuba, and I had received the best news of my life, she informed me that she and her boyfriend had broken up, at first I wanted to be there for her, but deep inside I was the happiest man alive, this was the opportunity of a lifetime to me. We began to talk more again, and we grew close once more, keep in mind that until then, I had no idea how or what this girl looked like, all I knew was that she had the most attractive voice I’d ever heard.  I was being a bit creepy, and I decided to look for this girl. I would try to use her username on Roblox to find her on social media, and eventually, I did. I my first glance at her, and she was the most gorgeous girl I had ever laid my eyes on. She had caramel skin, she had the cutest smile, she had beautiful curly hair, and impeccable style. She was perfect. I had told her because I felt guilty and eventually, I had to reveal myself too. I showed her a few pictures of me after and we began to send each other things back and forth until one day she proposed an idea. 

 


My first FaceTime. I never had an iPhone growing up, I didn’t get one until my 13 or 14th birthday and I had never video-called anyone, much less a girl. We both decided to go through with it and honestly, I enjoyed it! We prattled for hours, and it was awkward at first but in a good way. We both found the same things funny, so we found each other, laughing our butts off and just having a good time. She was honestly so stunning I wouldn’t be surprised if I was blushing the entire time, I loved it, and I realized I wanted to be with this girl. As time passed, we spent hours and hours often video-calling, or calling just to talk throughout the day ,even sleeping on the phone, not only playing together or anything but because we liked spending time with each other. Our talking stage was like no other, after knowing her for over 2 years now, we had started talking, in a flirty way. We’d throw subtle but cute hints sending each other relatable relationship posts online saying stuff like “Me and who?” and as time went on the who turned into you. Something I’ve come to learn in the years of my life is that nowadays talking stages are virtually non-existent, one thing I liked about this girl is that we didn’t become friends and jump straight into a relationship, we let time do its thing, we were friends for the longest before we even began to act flirty with each other. As time went on the tension grew and we began to get bolder with the things we said until one day she said to just ask her out already, and I did. I asked her out through a Google Forms sheet like a quiz, and so did she, So romantic. When we first got together, I thought Wow she was already perfect as a friend, how much better could it get? And let me tell you, a lot. We would sing songs on call together, play video games like roblox and minecraft even fortnite, watch shows or videos together, and we grew so close we were inseparable. A few months had passed and at half a year of being officially together, we decided to take things to the next level.

We met in real life. We met in a mall, The mall had food, a movie theater, and lots of stores to choose from, it was perfect. She waited on a bench and texted me telling me she could see me and that it was the scariest moment of my life. She told me to come downstairs and I slowly crept closer and closer and finally sat down beside her. At first, I couldn’t even look her in the eyes, I was so shy and crazy nervous but, in the end, it worked out. We talked, and I handed her a bouquet of roses I brought her, and our journey began. We browsed a few stores and picked up a Lego set and a few things for her. Most importantly her very first Promise Ring. We got food at Chipotle where I found out she loved the place, and we built our Lego penguin together. We ended the day off watching a movie together, and on that day, I held a girl's hands for the first time, I had my first kiss, and I learned to love. Since then, we’ve been together for over a year, and I feel as in love as I did the day it all began. We’ve met each other’s families, and we’ve seen each other every 6 months since then, it’s just been perfection. I love her so much, we’ve been on road trips together, canoeing with my dad, and to an amusement park with her mom, and she even took me on my first rollercoaster, can’t forget dinner together. We often buy ourselves and our family things, and we’ve even gone canoeing together. Even our family and friends are supportive of each other, and I hope to make things last a lifetime with her, I honestly have my whole future planned out with her in it. Long distance is hard we have our difficulties, but I believe in us. In my universe, she’s at the center with my whole world revolving around her, and I wouldn’t want it any other way.


The author's comments:

I'm 16, I'm still in high school and this was part of a class assignment