Siblings in Scenes: A Tale of Rivalry, Care, and Love | Teen Ink

Siblings in Scenes: A Tale of Rivalry, Care, and Love

August 2, 2023
By darkbrandon SILVER, Princeton, New Jersey
darkbrandon SILVER, Princeton, New Jersey
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Scene 1


INT. LIVING ROOM. AFTERNOON. 


ANDREW and MOM are yelling. MICHAEL listens from his room.


MOM


What do you mean you dropped the class? Andrew Zhang you have to do something. You’ll be jobless when you grow up! 


ANDREW

(rolling his eyes)

Whatever. I’ll just be Michael’s personal assistant, bodyguard, trainer, AND chauffeur since he’s so much better than me. 


Growing up, I’d picture our life as a screenplay, usually beginning with a scene like the one above. It seemed appropriate - we were as different as Norman and Paul in A River Runs Through It. Or perhaps it felt right because  my brother was like my personal headache. Only two years younger, Andrew resented my authority, and I hated his mocking subordination. Of course, sometimes I went a little too far. Cue another scene.


ANDREW

I can beat you at palm pushing!


MICHAEL

Yeah, right!


MICHAEL and ANDREW touch palms, trying to make the other stumble. MICHAEL puts too much weight on his front foot, and sends ANDREW flying into the corner of the table. 


Andrew ended up needing three stitches. I could’ve killed him, I thought to myself. From then on, I let him win often, even if he goaded for weeks. Sometimes, love means taking a step back.


We maintained a constant rivalry that defined our childhoods. We both wanted the glory of winning and the attention of others. But sometimes we cooperated…


ANDREW and MICHAEL are painting frescoes of soccer matches on the wall of the new apartment. MICHAEL leaves for boarding school the next day. 


MICHAEL

(cooing like a mother to her baby)

That’s not a bad painting, my little darling…but mine’s better!”


ANDREW

I’m not a darling. I’m a man!


ANDREW jumps on top of MICHAEL. A pet name has become a war cry. Later, tired, they lay on the ground..


ANDREW

I’m sorry for choking you


MICHAEL

I’ll miss you.


Sometimes, love involves stinging back, leaving the other red with the bruises of care. 


Last year, my brother joined me at school, following me like a shadow, from orchestra to cross country. Naturally, we clashed like two clarinets trying to drown each other out or two pairs of sneakers jostling for space on a cramped, muddy trail. I remember our orchestra trip to England…


MICHAEL is being followed by ANDREW, who spent all his money gorging himself on a steak at Chop House. They go into a local vinyl shop, browse the dusty shelves.


ANDREW

Will you buy me this Kendrick Lamar album? Look at this cool edition…


MICHAEL calculates that if he loans the money to ANDREW, there won’t be enough for him to buy the new Phoebe Bridgers record.


MICHAEL

Sorry, I don’t think so.


ANDREW
Agh, OK…


MICHAEL sees ANDREW’s ashen face. Kendrick is his favorite musician.


MICHAEL

All right, let me see it.


Later, MICHAEL and ANDREW and their friends laugh all night as they try to play their instruments along to the album, earning several noise complaints. 


Sometimes, love means prioritizing another’s happiness, seeing others smile.


Naturally, since I was two years older, I was determined to outperform him in cross country. But then, I tore my ACL.. Several weeks later, I was finally healed…


The gunshot rang out, and MICHAEL and ANDREW trudged forward. ANDREW sprints ahead like a wild gazelle. Meanwhile, MICHAEL rolls his ankle. He falls behind, his leg throbbing. MICHAEL’s ankle swells up, and he falls to the ground, alone in the woods. He panics. Then, a faint voice becomes louder and louder…


ANDREW

Are you OK?


MICHAEL shakes his head. His brother has returned.. Without another word, ANDREW carries MICHAEL back to Blair. Sometimes, love means looking back, even when you can run ahead. 


MOVIE END.


It’s true the ending might be a little sentimental, but, to tell you the truth, I don’t mind. 

 


The author's comments: