4:47 AM | Teen Ink

4:47 AM

June 9, 2023
By WritingRandom SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
WritingRandom SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Only do what your heart tells you."
- Princess Diana


The honest boring truth? Sure, if you can even grasp it. Just hear me out, imagine you just spent hours working on a paper for school. It's dark out—wait it's dark out, the sun was shining just a moment ago. What's the time? 


4:47 AM


Oh. I have to get up for school soon. You are up.


Oh. I have to…


Get some food.


Oh, yeah I’m hungry. I know my house, so I know all the squeaks and creeks on the stairs. You do a weird tango on the stairs to be as quiet as possible. The hallway to the kitchen is easy, a quiet floor. The fridge is loud, everything is loud at night. You open the fridge, the light illuminating the room. It looks like I just opened the door to heaven. What do I grab?


Shredded cheese, for some reason.


Oh yeah.


At this point I had been awake for 3 days.


I’m shaking with hunger, but I’m not hungry. Your paper is not done. I need to eat. You need to finish the paper. What am I doing? It's 4:52 in the morning, a bag of shredded cheese in one hand and my head in the other. I’m 16, I shouldn’t be having a breakdown. There are bigger things in life. 


Life. Is this paper really that important? Am I afraid of death? No, but in this pathetic state, I was. So many questions filled my head. What do I do? What can I do?


I wept. I know, its pathetic, but that's all I could do. This was low, but not rock bottom. 


I went to school the next day, surprisingly better. I lived in the moment. I still do. 


Somethings I have learned from that embarrassing moment:


1)I am my worst enemy 
2)I am in control of myself
3)Shredded cheese is not for snacking


The author's comments:

Just a normal breakdown :D