How The Man Sculpts Himself | Teen Ink

How The Man Sculpts Himself MAG

By LukeCyrus BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas
LukeCyrus BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas

In my seventh-grade year, an unusual scene began to unfold as I stood before the mirror with duct tape securely fastened to my lips. This was no kidnapping or practical joke. No, this was far more brilliant. I had convinced myself that this was the manly approach to embarking on my first-ever shave. Filled with excitement, I anticipated emerging from the washroom with a brand new face, and in retrospect, I wasn’t entirely mistaken. This was it — the moment of my inaugural shave. I took a deep breath and made my move. It was a rip heard ‘round the world! I can confidently say that I have never experienced such excruciating pain, and I truly hope to never again reach such heights of misguided ingenuity.

Fast-forward four years to the present, where I now find myself at 16 years of age, having left behind the sophisticated tape-and-scissors contraption. I have acquired a proper razor blade, and with it, the un-bandaged, smooth face of a now-changed youth.

Shaving has become a transformative experience for me — a gateway from a sleep-deprived, bewildered teenager to a well-groomed, accomplished gentleman. While the act itself may seem trivial, it is the first of many rituals that contribute to a man’s self-cultivation. I have noticed that nearly every achievement I have pursued in my life — be it business ventures, academic scholarship, or personal growth — has required a physical affirmation of my intent, much like how making one’s bed is associated with a productive day. For me, shaving is one of the primary physical rituals that motivate the transformation of my goals into reality. It forms an integral part of my morning routine, instilling in me a sense of control, and setting the tone for the day ahead. As I engage in this ritual, I subconsciously remind myself of the following truths:

The ability to shape the appearance of my face empowers me to shape the course of my day.

A clean face is synonymous with a clean slate, projecting an image of purpose and professionalism to those with whom I interact in any fruitful endeavor.

Achieving a clean shave enhances my confidence and overall well-groomed appearance.

The million-dollar question, then, is how does one ensure a “good clean shave”? I firmly believe that the answer lies in selecting the right razor. A suitable razor not only enables a faster and more thorough shave, but also accommodates those moments when I desire a leisurely grooming session. These longer shaves provide me with valuable time to contemplate the day’s tasks and, at times, allow for a cathartic experience as I silently observe my newly sculpted visage. The versatility offered by a high-quality blade, therefore, lies in its ability to efficiently cater to both productive and meditative shaving sessions, underscoring the broader significance of shaving in my life.

However, do not simply take my word for it! Outside of my scientific and business interests, I have developed a fascination with studying the Classics. Surprisingly, the works of great ancient figures such as Alexander the Great and Julius Caesar contain a significant and often humorous emphasis on the benefits of shaving. In those times, a beard was regarded as a liability — a mere tool for enemy soldiers to exploit by giving it a well-aimed tug on the battlefield. No doubt the people of that age were assured of the importance of shaving in their lives! While we may chuckle at these anecdotes, throughout history, men have found compelling reasons to shave, be it for practicality, adherence to cultural norms, or even gaining strategic advantages in business and war fields. Regardless, while the motivations for shaving may differ from person to person and across cultures, the significance and impact of this grooming ritual have persisted. I suppose I could sum it up like this: give a man a new blade, and he’ll come out of the washroom a new man, and if not a new man, at least certainly better than if he had walked out with a roll of duct tape.

In this essay, the author endeavors to take readers on a personal journey through the significance of shaving in their life. From an unconventional first shaving attempt involving duct tape, to the present day where a proper razor blade symbolizes transformation, shaving has become a ritual of immense importance for the author.

The act of shaving serves as a catalyst for personal change, allowing the author to transition from a disheveled teenager to a well-groomed gentleman. It is a physical affirmation of their goals, kickstarting a sense of control and productivity for the day ahead. The author highlights the profound impact that a clean shave has on their confidence and overall appearance.

The choice of the right razor is crucial, offering both efficiency for quick shaves and a therapeutic outlet for introspection during longer grooming sessions. The versatility of a quality blade allows the author to balance productivity with moments of silent contemplation, granting them a renewed sense of focus and serenity.

Drawing upon historical anecdotes, the author humorously reflects on how shaving has been an important aspect of masculinity throughout the ages. From ancient warriors like Alexander the Great and Julius Caesar, who regarded beards as liabilities, to the prosperity of barbers in those times, shaving has held cultural and strategic significance.

Ultimately, the author asserts that shaving is not merely a mundane grooming routine, but a profound ritual that shapes their perception of themselves and their achievements. It represents a clean slate, an opportunity to start afresh each day, and a physical embodiment of their drive for success.

This essay encourages readers to contemplate the power of rituals in their own lives, emphasizing the personal and symbolic meanings we attach to seemingly ordinary acts.

jcramer said...
jcramer, San Antonio, Texas
@LukeCyrus, great essay!