What Ifs and Canoe Trips | Teen Ink

What Ifs and Canoe Trips

By GradyM10 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
GradyM10 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

What if something happens? What if we can’t make it back? These thoughts kept pounding in my head as I prepared to go out into the middle of nowhere. We were headed into a place with no electricity, internet, houses, cars, boats, or anything industrial; voluntarily. One of the last pure areas in the United States, the Boundary Waters is a million-acre refuge of protected wilderness. Canoes are the only way to go across the lakes and foot travel is the only way to cross land. The purity of the area leaves lots of hazards. From wildlife to deep water to sharp granite rock, the nature of this area is stunning, yet dangerous. Maybe this risk, or maybe the beauty and peace, brings lots of visitors to the Boundary Waters every single year. This year, I was going to be one of those many visitors.

The only two words that could describe how I felt as I got ready to go are scared and nervous. Going without modern amenities and touch with the outside world for nearly a week is frightening. What if something happens? What if we can’t paddle out? What if our canoe tips and we lose everything we packed? These thoughts just kept burning through my mind. The idea of being away from my family for so long and my insecurities about not being strong enough were wrapped around my throat, strangling me like an anaconda. But I thought that maybe if I just do it and commit, the trip will be more fun and I will make it through. Maybe I would even be proud of myself. So, without showing anyone my worries, I put on a smile and got in the car.

We had made it to the outfitter, all the way up the Gunflint Trail. The night before we departed, we stopped for a bite to eat at a restaurant. I ordered a burger. It was excellent, but I still couldn’t keep the thoughts out of my head. What if something happens? What if this is the last food I eat for a week? But the next morning, the sun did rise. We got out on the lake bright and early. This, however, wasn’t just any lake, it was Saganaga. At over seventeen thousand acres, Saganaga is the biggest lake in the Boundary Waters, and if there is any wind at all, it will be rough traveling. We were unlucky enough to have a windy day, despite our efforts to evade the gusts with our early rising. After hours of traveling and questioning my decision to come, the lake seemed to come to a dead end. My paddling partner, a man who had been to the Boundary Waters countless times, told me to look for the low spot in the trees, as that is where portages typically lie. We paddled over to the low spot in the tree line, and low and behold, there was the portage.

Monument Portage was the name because it winds along the US/Canada border. Every time it crosses the border, there is a silver monument with “United States” on one side, and “Canada” on the other. The beginning of the portage is a bog, so muddy there was a boardwalk. At the end of the boardwalk, there is a monument, then a big, rocky hill that abruptly shoots out of the bog. Once we got to the top of the hill, we went back down a little bit before we got to the next lake, Ottertrack Lake. Each trip back and forth across the portage was done either with a 50-80 pound pack or a 16-foot canoe. We had to do the portage 3 times to get all our gear, but it felt amazing when we finished. We had done it! We loaded the canoes back up and took off to our destination. When we paddled out into the main part of Ottertrack Lake, away from the bay we came from, the views were breathtaking.

Granite cliffs topped with tall red pines, Minnesota’s state tree, surrounded the lake. The rough waters of Saganaga were replaced by glass smooth waters. We paddled to the other side of the lake, where the campsite we decided to stay at was. A little while after we had set up our tents, we took the canoes out fishing. The bays around our site had abundant Smallmouth Bass, arguably one of the most fun freshwater fish to catch. Our campsite was right next to a short portage that ended at a great view of Knife Lake. We also had a small cliff to jump off of adjacent to our tents. Camp in the Boundary Waters is like a party, but quiet. Playing card games and going swimming, but it never gets too loud. There is no stress and no worries, except if we want to stay at the same campsite or go to another. The sounds of nature around us just elevate the mood, and I never wanted to leave. The tensions of the world were gone, and suddenly, my worries subsided as I just simply had fun with great people.  

Our fun had to end after four more great days. As we paddled back this time, however, I didn’t worry so much about anything. I just enjoyed the ride, the hard work, and the beauty of the Boundary Waters. Something I realized as we paddled was that if I had let my worries get the best of me and decided not to go, I would have missed out on one of the most enjoyable and meaningful experiences of my life. Trying new things, no matter how scary they may seem, almost always ends up well. Something will always be learned or maybe even a new passion found. I have observed for myself that these new experiences are extremely rewarding. For me, yes, those “What if” thoughts still occur. And I know that in a place like that, something bad certainly could happen. But I decided for myself that those risks are worth it. The Boundary Waters, even though it can be very dangerous, is my happy place, and I won’t let any little voice in my head stop me from going.