A letter to Pre-teens | Teen Ink

A letter to Pre-teens

March 26, 2023
By Anonymous

Preteens, 
   Adolescence is upon you. It can be a scary confusing time but remember that growing is normal, and it happens to all of us. There are a lot of things changing when you start becoming a teenager. Changes can be good and bad. Sometimes you just need good advice and an idea of where to go. There are a lot of things that I think would be helpful for you to know in the upcoming years. 
   Your self-esteem doesn’t need to be tied to anything. There’s going to be a lot of pressure to fit in with everyone else. There will be people who don’t like you no matter what you do or don’t do. How you feel about yourself shouldn’t be tied to how others think of you. You are the only person who knows who you are. Don’t let the world tell you what you’re worth. You are the only person who gets to decide that. 
   There will be times when everything is falling apart. Nothing is going right, and everything is just awful. Those times could be numerous or numbered. Well-meaning people will give you advice, they’ll say that it gets better and to “just hold on”. This always makes me angry, and it might make you angry too. It's easy to feel like they can't know what you're feeling. How could they, they aren't you. They really do mean well. I’ve found that sometimes it doesn’t get better for a long time. Sometimes you’ve been holding on for so long that it's tempting to just let go. The light at the end of the tunnel is so dim it may as well be nonexistent. But it does get easier. It may never be okay, and things will never be how they were before, but it gets easier. 
   Part of things getting easier is coping. There are many ways to cope with the pressure of getting older and the growing responsibilities. Some are easier than others, but the easy option is not always the better one. Drugs and Alcohol provide quick relief from the world. The temporary relief is just that temporary. Talk to people instead. I know that may seem like the hardest thing right now, but it helps. Even just being around people that you trust to watch your back is enough. Don’t let the temptation get the better of you. 
   Most importantly, not all the world is out to get you. I know, believe me I know that it feels like that, and it may even be that a majority of the people around you are out to get you. Just know that there are people who care. They may not be your best friend or even someone you know well but they are out there. There is always someone out there who cares. It will feel like the only option is to cut everyone out, to protect yourself. You may need to cut a lot of people out to stay safe. But remember to let some people in. It doesn’t have to be everyone, and you don’t have to bear your soul to them; just get to know them a little. 
   There are a lot of other things that I could tell you but growing up is a journey. It's your journey and it has to be you who takes it. There's no way out, you just have to take the plunge. Things will go wrong. Not everything is going to turn out just fine. But in the end, it's you who has to make the final decision. There will be mistakes and there will be consequences, learn from them and grow past them. After all, falling is part of learning to fly. 
-A slightly older teen