Essay Contest: The Giving Flower | Teen Ink

Essay Contest: The Giving Flower

October 3, 2022
By Anonymous

Sometime during the summer of 2022, I woke up to a sunny day. Whenever the sun is out it has to be a good day at least this is what I say in my head every time I see the sun. Although this may be true most times, I know I have had pretty bad days on a nice looking day like this.

 It's the hope that the bright, yellow sun is a perfect match with the misty green grass. I walk out into the surprisingly refreshing heat of the sun. It's not the heat that caught my attention, nor the green grass, or the squirrel with its cheeks full running across the damp green grass. It's a red rose, fully bloomed as if it has all the hope and life in the world. I don't rip the flower out of the ground, as I want there to be another fully bloomed red rose, hopeful, and lively. So I ever so gently pick the red rose about halfway down its stem. 

I take it, and leave it in my car leaving me so hopeful for a good day. When I arrive at Walmart I think nothing of it. I went there to get the red fruit hawaiian punch. I had everything I needed for a good day. How could anyone have a bad day on such a nice day like this? I thought to myself again. 

As I walk back to my car I see the flower. I get the hopeful looking flower flower, and look at it. I open my window, and ask the lady putting groceries in her car, “I'm sorry to bother you but how has your day been so far?” She looks at me surprised “It has been better before”. As she closes the trunk full of groceries I look at her again with the flower in my cup holder. “I don't need this today, hopefully it will make your day a little bit” “Thank you so much” she replied with a confused yet reasonably happy look on her face. It was her expressions that showed me how much it meant to her.

 I was happy I could make someone smile and she was happy someone had genuinely cared. I took her cart back, and told her today will get better. 


The author's comments:

This is a submission for the Teens Making a Difference contest.