Essay Contest: The Time I Made Someone Happy | Teen Ink

Essay Contest: The Time I Made Someone Happy

September 30, 2022
By Aasiad1 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Aasiad1 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I am driving on a windy road trying to get home from a long day at work. It’s about 4 o’clock so I am so hungry and ready to eat the juicy homemade burgers my dad makes. All of sudden I see this little boy on the side of the road doing a lemonade stand. I pull over. I remember doing this when I was younger. 

“OMG mom, someone came!” the little boy exclaims. 

I smile at him and ask him, “What are you trying to save up for?” 

“This new Starwars Lego set, my mom said she’d pay for half and I have pay for half so I am selling lemonade.” 

“How much do you have to earn?”

“$100, I have made $20 so far.” All the memories came back to me from when I was little sitting in the hot sun waiting for someone to pull over.

I looked in my wallet and all I had was 3 singles or a 50 dollar bill. I pulled the $50 out of my wallet and gave it to the little boy. 

He looked at it and then looked at me. “Mom, we’re gonna need to make some more lemonade.” 

I laughed at him and told him, “One glass is good enough for me, the $50 is for you.” 

He looked at it again and when he looked up he had the biggest smile on his face. He ran over and gave me the biggest hug. 

“Thank you, thank you. I have been waiting so long to get the Lego set. I am so happy. 

“MOM, do you see what she gave me? I have enough to get it right?” 

The mom looked at the money and looked at me. She seemed surprised but she mouthed, Thank you. I smiled at the mom and the little boy and started walking back to my car. 

“Wait!” I turned around and the little boy was walking towards me with the glass of lemonade. “You can’t forget this.” 

“Thank you! I hope you get everything you wanted.” 


The author's comments:

This is a submission for the Teens Making a Difference essay contest.