Essay Contest: From Student to Teacher | Teen Ink

Essay Contest: From Student to Teacher

September 30, 2022
By Anonymous

The camp starts slowly with kids being shy (because that's usually how little kids are). I cracked some jokes and made them feel comfortable with me in order for them to get the best experience out of this soccer camp.  

The other coaches, myself, and the kids all did soccer activities to get the kids moving around and laughing and as some of the kids would make mistakes I would teach them how to fix them and encourage them to keep on going. 

Camp went on like this for the next few days of pretty much the same stuff each day. But each day I would build a better relationship with the kids in my groups and I had all of their names memorized. I was starting to feel like I had made a difference to these kids once I had seen how much fun they were having and the progress they had made over the past few days of camp. It really got me excited to see that these little kids were having as much fun as I did at this camp back when I was little.

On the final day of camp, each of the kids was given a certificate for completing the camp, a soccer t-shirt, and a new soccer ball. What really made me feel good was that when the kids got their soccer balls they asked their other coach and me if we could sign them like an autograph. This made me feel so good about what I did that week because these kids enjoyed their time here and thanked me for my efforts to help them. It was nice to see that the same camp that I went to when I was little was still around and I am now coaching it. How crazy is that? 


The author's comments:

This is a submission for the Teens Making a Difference contest.