Fada Wog | Teen Ink

Fada Wog

October 30, 2021
By AndyNotTaken BRONZE, Cupertino, California
AndyNotTaken BRONZE, Cupertino, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

    It was August of 2019, and school had just started. Moving to a new district, a new school, was intimidating. I was scared. I was afraid of getting bullied. You know that feeling on the roller coaster, that feeling when you’re nervous, about to perform in front of the class, or in a recital? There it was. 


    I walked into room K. The teacher there said something along the lines of: “Welcome to 7th grade language arts. I’m your teacher, Mrs. Tricksy You”. Everyone was confused. This was supposed to be 6th grade. Mrs. Wog. But as the entire class prepared to leave, she suddenly said that she was Mrs. Wog and that this was the correct class. It was then that I noticed her name tag that said “Fada Wog”.  Like a shooting star that flew by, that opportunity to expose Mrs. Wog was gone. Never again would I have that chance. I’ve missed so many opportunities, but this one stuck to me. If I had noticed that just 10 seconds before, it wouldn’t be a missed opportunity. I had a chance to not be the shy new student, but that chance was gone.

    Later on someone mentioned that her name tag said “Fada Wog”, but after we were fooled. In fact, I was debating with myself whether I should mention it or not, but in the end I didn't. But now as I think back, maybe I should have mentioned it. Maybe that’s a missed opportunity. 


The author's comments:

    In this set piece, I tried to experiment with figurative language. I especially liked the part where I compared a missed opportunity to a shooting star. I think I’m doing a good job with a voice that I would actually speak in.