Thankful for the Bumps | Teen Ink

Thankful for the Bumps

By 3vermeulen GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
3vermeulen GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

It began on the day I messed up. Landing wrong and sitting in a doctor’s office as they tell me I’ve cracked my back. This stress fracture set me back, and I lost gymnastics. Reinjured twice more, took more time away. But I wouldn’t let sports slip from my grasp. Every day after school, I train, lifting and running, to make myself stronger, better, and faster for track and field. Now my eye is on the prize of hurdling and running in relays, rather than dwelling on not being able to do gymnastics. After being devastated, I knew that I wouldn’t let the bumps in the road ever slow me down ever again.

Junior year. It shouldn’t be too bad, I’ve made it through high school so far with all As, so what’s there to stress about? My confidence was instantly squashed by the difficulty of AP Chemistry. Hours of labs, notes, and reading piled up. I tried to comprehend the formulas and symbols they call science. But every day after school, I went home and began studying, practicing for the exam, scribbling up lab write-ups, and calculating.

Sports and school. These two areas have shaped my hopes and dreams for the future. Through my first disappointment, I have discovered my passion for helping others in healing after sports injuries because I have witnessed firsthand the frustration that comes with that. I want to help athletes of all ages to return to their physical activity in the quickest and long-lasting way possible. To me, this seems like the most amazing job in the world and I will do whatever it takes to reach that goal.

Hard-working. Motivated. Driven. The common responses to questions asked to learn about crucial traits a person carries. To me, this characteristic is more important than “working hard.” This description of hardworking is pushing through adversity to reach goals. It’s staying up late to study for hours on end to reach that grade. It’s driving my body to keep going even when your brain tells you it is impossible. Hard work is grit in the most challenging times. But it’s also staying motivated in the undemanding days and letting myself slack due to comfort. I needed motivation, a reason, an inspiration. My drive is the dream of helping others when I graduate and becoming a doctor. This dream will keep me from veering off the tracks and steadily push on throughout my high school and college years.

Some might call these bumps like injuries and difficult material a burden, but I am thankful for the experiences. Without them, I would have never learned how to overcome challenges. Without them, I would have never grown as a student or athlete. Without them, I wouldn’t be who I am.

This essay talks about how I took on struggles in my life and did not let them stop me from working for my end dream.