college essay | Teen Ink

college essay

When I was about ten years old, my dream was to be the new kid, become popular, and have so many friends that I would be the person everyone wants to be friends with. 

As I entered the school on my first day, I was confused, lost, and I couldn't talk to anyone because I didn't know anyone. I walked around the school trying to pull up my schedule to find where I was going, everyone seemed like they knew where they were going, then I remembered “Oh right I'm new”. As I sat in my first class, the only thought in my mind was I have no friends and no one to talk to. As the weeks have gone by I have talked to more and more people and that is really making me feel more part of school and more like I know what I'm doing.  

I was sitting down at lunch on the second day of school and I had just put my airpods in to block out the noise and I felt a tap on my shoulder. I looked up and there was a girl in the corner of my eye saying, “Come sit by us”. I put my airpods away and scooted down, told them my name and they told me theirs, and instantly I knew we were going to be close friends because they were so nice to me and we clicked. I'm proud of myself with everything that has happened to me my whole life and I know that it happened for a reason. Moving has gotten me so many friends and made me put myself out there in a way that I never thought I would. 

The thing I am most proud of is my bravery and confidence going into school knowing no one. A trait that I hope stays with me forever is being able to talk to anyone and just being myself and hoping people like me for me. One lesson that moving taught me was how different life is outside of the circle people call “their hometown.” I have seen many ways and perspectives on how people I have never met live their lives. It was really weird coming into a new town with people who have been living here their whole lifes and living in the same house and going to the same school all four years. It is weird not knowing everything about the town because I got so used to my hometown back in Texas. The good part is though I have only been here abou two months, I already have a friend group, am on the tennis team, go to every football game and have met so many new people. I think finding friends and feeling like I fit in was due to my confidence and attitude coming into the school. I went in with a mindset of how I wanted to change and it worked.

this peice is an Experience i went through this year