My name to me. | Teen Ink

My name to me.

By 2driscoll BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
2driscoll BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

My name is Aiden. The name is Irish and in Gaelic, the name means little fire. I look at this little fire as my motivation in life. It means my overall feelings. Back then in Ireland they had to survive off what little they had. My life isn’t as dire as that, but to survive like that you had to have had a strong will to live. I wanted my little fire to be as strong as their fiery blazes of will.

I’d like to think that back then when I was a kid in elementary school. I was a little ember, a small amount of heat that would help anyone given time. Like an ember the light I emit is a small glow of what I hope to be in the future. a low dim in a place full of darkness and uncertainty. Thinking about it I sort of felt put out, but like a fire, I can hope to grow and mature one day so that there won’t be so much darkness blinding me.

As I grew up my ember began to grow with all the kindling and fuel I received. I felt more excited to learn and to expand myself as a person. I wanted to just explore everything I could possibly touch like a wildfire. At this point in my life school started to become rough and even though I had caring people in my life I felt as if I couldn’t help them at all. So I wanted to find new ways to fuel myself up so that I could become a burning fire of hope when someone I cared for needed it. 

As I grew up I was becoming more like the fire I wanted. A lot of my life came to a halt before that and so high school was another blockage, just like a buket of water putting out the flames, I had felt like I was just put out by most things I liked, but I eventually persevere through it. Just like a fire I came back. I change depending on my environment, burning bright in the most fun situations like a campfire with your family, or a slow-burning fireplace in the winter to huddle up with. So beginning the senior year I wanted to continue going at my own pace. I'm getting the hold of being more dependent and I can’t wait to see the blazing roar I will eventually become.

I had hoped my little fire can eventually become a bonfire for people. A light in the dark, a burning beacon of hope for others. I want to become someone who can be depended on and I want to be able to help people. As my life continues I want to keep going at my own pace and help others in need. Because what fire doesn’t want to provide warmth for people?  

This is a summary of my life and how my name has been linked with it.