A Scary Camping Trip | Teen Ink

A Scary Camping Trip

By RB1888 BRONZE, Cedar City, Utah
RB1888 BRONZE, Cedar City, Utah

One three day weekend we wanted to do something fun. Our family is a very outdoorsy family so we decided to go camping. We put our side by side in our trailer and packed up. At this time it was late march so we wanted to go somewhere a little warmer to camp. About two hours away there is a fun sand dune filled area we thought would be warm and fun to go to, so thats where we went.

We unloaded all our stuff and it was getting later so we started to cook dinner. We had steak and dutch oven potatoes with some vegetables. After we ate we went for a ride on our side by side. We saw a big herd of deer, which most of them were just does, but there was a little three point buck. We headed back and it was dark so we started a fire and ate some marshmallows with hershey's chocolate and graham crackers. We later went to bed in our sleeping bags and blankets.

We woke up and my dad made us breakfast. He made all kinds of eggs depending on what everyone liked. I like over medium eggs. He also made a maple flavored bacon that was really good. He made big sausage patties that were made of pork. We also had some big pancakes as big as a tire.. I personally really like dipping my bacon and sausage into the syrup. We also had some orange juice and some milk. After breakfast we cleaned up and started playing some games. I played frisbee with my sister for a little bit. Then me and my dad played some horseshoes, which is easy to set up and fun to play. Me and my dad were tied then he won with an amazing throw. After that we played some cornhole which was really fun. We let my sister scoot up because she is younger, but she is still really good.

After that my brother and dad wanted to go geocaching which is when some leaves a container that you go find then you can mark that you found it. All you know is that it's in a certain area like bad guys in the army.. After we found a few of them we went to one that was on a smaller hill somewhere. The gps marking was showing up near this big old tree. We looked around the tree in the rocks and finally we discovered that the middle of the tree was hollowed out and the container was in there. This container happened to be an ammo can from the military. We signed the paper inside of it and traded out a little toy, for a dollar. 

My dad got a text, but did not have good service so they thought if they got up on the top of the hill they could send a text. So we climbed up the rocky steep hill to the top. As my dad was calling his employee we looked off the edge and saw a big long yellow and black snake. We called my dad over and we were all looking down at it when my brother stepped down to the very edge of the cliff. Right where he stepped was a family of rattlesnakes. The snake's rattle shook like an earthquake. We counted 8 of them and we were scared so we were going to go back down to the side by side. As we were going down we saw a different baby snake and a big  black snake as long as a big rope. We got down and the road went all the way around the hill. So we started walking around the hill and saw another snake, then another, and another. They kept showing up like flies all around.  After walking around the hill in total we saw 19 snakes. My dad has been tremendously terrified of snakes for his whole life, but that made his fear of snakes much worse.

We drove back to camp on our side by side and we were still shaking. We told my mom the story and how scary it was. We ate sandwiches and played more games. We now were calmed down and ready to tell everyone about what happened and our story. For dinner we had hamburgers and hotdogs with chips and some grapes. We started the fire and relaxed and talked for a few hours before going to bed. We woke up and ate some breakfast burritos with some salsa. After breakfast we started packing up and getting ready to go home. We put our side by side in the trailer and packed up our clean clothes, dirty clothes, sleeping bags, and blankets. Then we started to make our trip home. As we were going home we started talking about how crazy the experience was and about how we were going to tell people about it.