The Permit Test | Teen Ink

The Permit Test

By Elizabeth_Wank4 SILVER, Defience, Ohio
Elizabeth_Wank4 SILVER, Defience, Ohio

Emerging from a slumber on a sunny Saturday morning with the breeze blowing, I yawned as the sun set in on my sweaty and shaken face. I trodded down the baby blue hallway to the glossy kitchen to get breakfast, where I read the Motor Vehicle book. Though I had time to read, I waited for the day of the test to review. Strangely that morning, my mom turned into Gordon Ramsay and made me nice, warm, fluffy pancakes. She knew that day was a big day. Knowing I was getting my picture taken today if I passed, I dashed to my room to change into my typical outfit, a sweatshirt and a black vest, put on deodorant, straightened my hair, but forgot to brush my teeth. 

Ready to go to the DMV, we headed out the door. Wearing our reflective glasses as we jammed to music, I gnawed off my red nails as the nerves set in for my test. It was the start of fall, so my allergies were terrible and killing my drippy nose. 

After arriving to the DMV, my mom pep talked me as a motivational speaker; however, she knew that I was scared out of my mind for the test. “You are strong and capable of doing anything you want to do,” she proclaimed.

As we were walking in I claimed, “Whenever I get in a situation that makes me nervous, I tell myself, ‘You will get through this no matter what. Even if you feel like you can’t do it, you will be fine.’”

Arriving at the testing room, I turned left. I approached a blonde lady who wore glasses and was not excited, not excited one bit to be there on a Saturday. She asked, “What's your name? How old are you?” etc. After the questions I took an eye test, which was oddly bright like waking up on a summer morning. After the eye test, I took a hearing test. I put on the headphones and listened to the bleeps and lifted my hand on which side I heard it. The bleeps were so faint that the test troubled me, but I passed. 

Moving on, I transferred to the online test. While I comprehended the test in front of me, a man walked in, wearing a rugged jean jacket, a red and black flannel underneath, and some dark jeans and work boots. He ended up settling down next to me during my test. During the test, he proceeded to pass the humid Kleenic tissues because my sniffling bothered him during his test. On the test there were forty questions. With the knowledge that I was allowed to miss no more than eleven to still pass, I realized I had already missed nine. The last two questions I needed to get at least one right. Nervously scrolling over the answers, I choose the wrong answer on the question, “A red arrow at an intersection indicates that...?” Even though I missed that question, I still passed the test, because I answered the next one correctly. 

After I ended my test, I strutted into the room next door, which appeared to be maxed out with people. While we waited, to get my picture taken and my permit card set up, we filled out paperwork and paid the cost of the permit test. To pass the time, I people watched. Suddenly, a man next to me on the phone was trying to sell his puppies to someone. A lady, who wore cowgirl boots, just ventured back inside from smoking a cigarette and reeked of smoke. Interrupting my people-watching daze, the worker yelled out, “Number 776, you are up!” 

Once I approached the picture chair and looked in the circular mirror to check my hair, I sat down. I thought to myself, ‘Man, my hair is so straight today. Perfect for the picture.’

My picture was taken three times, until I approved of one. I walked outside and jumped in the air since I had passed my permit test. 

On the way home, my mom told me, “Call your dad and tell him the news,” as she took a right turn on Jefferson Street. 

“I will text him when I get home,” I replied to her.

She ordered, “No, call him now, not text.” 

I did. As soon as he picked up the phone, I noticed the strange difference in my dad’s voice. After I told him the news, he gushed with praise while also expressing, “I knew you could do it!” 

Another thought appeared with anxiety creeping over my shoulder, ‘Now I have to move onto the next obstacle, the driver’s test.’