Track Attack | Teen Ink

Track Attack

By gooberhep SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
gooberhep SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

"if you change the way you look at things then the things you look at change"

I had started track wondering what this new sport would bring to me. What I would be good at and what I wouldn't be good at. My team was not the best, but I had a lot of good friends right there with me. We were not expected to do good at all as a team. We had to put in a lot of work in and try lots of new things. We put in this work by practicing.

My first practice we go on a 2-mile run, which I was not excited about but surprisingly kept up with the front 4 runners. I was sure I was going to be a 1-2 mile runner. Before the last meet of junior high in practice, we did an 800 as fast as someone possibly could go to see who was going to run it. I ended up beating everybody by a long shot. So that meet my coach put me in the 800 and ended up getting a 2:40, I felt like I was gonna be a good asset coming into varsity, while able to run a good 200, 400, 800, and 1600. Even with my field events, I knew I could do some damage, maybe even in pole vault. We had to work in the offseason.

That offseason I did other sports like a regular athletic kid, I worked out a lot, lifted weights, and got strong and built muscle. Knowing that is exactly what I need to run stronger and faster. First practice on varsity I had no clue what was coming, we ran four 400’s and four 200’s. I was exhausted by the first few 400’s but I knew I had to work if I wanted to get better. At a meet in the middle of the season, I did my first open 800 on varsity. My goal was to keep up with a good teammate. I ended up beating him and got a personal record of 2:31. This was the turning point to my love for running the 800.

The meet I had after I did not get into the 800, so I put myself in the mile. During the race the first half or the first 800 I went a little too fast for being used to the 800. I started to hurt a lot during the last 400 around my lung area, and I was feeling absolutely dead. By the time the last 100 was near, I noticed lots of people were passing me. I had tried my absolute hardest to keep up but I was hurting way too much. I ended up beating my past record by 10 seconds and got 5:42 but I didn't want to feel that pain ever again. I knew that the 800 was for me since then, and I still know I can get better.

Since then I have beaten my record by at least a second every single meet. I have succeeded in my goal of under 2:25, and I could not be happier. I never wanted to run an 800 in the beginning because it was a really hard race. I should have practiced and trained more and harder earlier on, but now ever since I got that I’ve wanted to do the absolute best I could. Because I went all out and wanted it, I have gotten way better and I couldn't be happier. I've learned not to just work hard on new things and learn but also to have a good attitude toward it all. I will be trying my hardest in life and will work at being a good person, and hopefully, that will bring me somewhere.

Made me a harder working person.