The Power of Love | Teen Ink

The Power of Love

By veronicav02 SILVER, Slidell, Louisiana
veronicav02 SILVER, Slidell, Louisiana

I can still recall the overwhelming feeling of stress and anxiety as I pulled into the parking lot of Lake Lawn Funeral Home. My heart was racing as I sat in the driver’s seat of the car debating whether I should go home and come back another day with my mom.  

Ever since I was a kid, I dreaded going to the funeral home. But, I always felt like I had to go to show that I still cared.

After sitting in my car for ten minutes, I finally built up the courage to get out of the car and go inside. As I got out of the car I thought to myself, I don’t want to be here. Not alone. I should have asked my mom to come with me after work.

As I walked towards the door, I encountered an older couple. “Good morning sweetie!”, the lady said to me as she smiled and passed me by. I looked back at her and thought, how can someone be that happy walking out of a cemetery.

I turned back around and walked towards the entrance. I reached for the door handle. It was icy and sent shivers up my spine at the touch. I pulled the heavy, metal door open. When I walked in, I was immediately overcome by the overpowering scent of flowers. The scent brought back childhood memories of the weekly visits to the funeral home with my grandparents.

I began to walk down the main hall and through the corridor towards my destination. Why are there so many bugs flying around? It smells like chemicals in here. I should just go home and come back another day.

I reached the final turn before reaching the hall in which the memory of my dad was. As I neared the turn, I heard voices. “I can’t believe he would’ve been fifty-two today,” a female voice said gently.

I began to panic assuming that whoever this voice belonged to was visiting my dad too. I stood at the corner trying to make out the voices but couldn’t. I looked around the corner to see if I could recognize the faces of the couple sitting down on the couch. But, I wasn't able to make out their faces.

I calmly decided that I would give them some time to visit and go visit my dad as soon as they were gone. I sat on a bench at the other end of the hall with my back facing the couple and waited.

After thirty minutes of waiting, I began to grow impatient. Why are these people taking so long? I just want to see my dad. The longer I sat and waited, the more anxious I grew.

Finally, I built up the courage to just go over and visit my dad. I probably don’t even know them. I’ll just sit on the other couch and mind my own business.

I got up and began to walk towards the other end of the hall. With each step I took, I could feel my heart beating faster. I listened carefully as I got closer to make sure that I wasn’t interrupting anything.

I walked up to the group of couches and sat down without looking up. After a few minutes, I heard a gentle voice say my name.

“Veronica, what are you doing here?” I looked up to see my grandma with a look of confusion on her face.

“Hi, Abuela. I came to visit dad for his birthday.” A soft smile appeared on her face and I could see her eyes fill up with tears.

“I didn’t think you would remember” she whispered to me as she reached for my hand. My thoughts were overcome with emotion. I have been so caught up with my friends and school that I have neglected my family to the point where they don’t expect things out of me.

I sat on the couch in between my grandparents and the three of us sat in silent. As time passed, I felt myself becoming more relaxed and sink into the couch. I felt an overwhelming sense of joy as I sat there with two people that are near and dear to my heart.

At this moment, sitting with two people who have loved me unconditionally my entire life, I recognized the power of love. God grants us all with the ability to love and care for one another. My grandparents managed to turn something that should have been sad into something that allowed for us to all be overcome with the power of love.