Not Ready to Say Goodbye | Teen Ink

Not Ready to Say Goodbye

April 30, 2019
By rkreger SILVER, New Orleans, Louisiana
rkreger SILVER, New Orleans, Louisiana
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

And it all began with a signature, signing away the rights of life. Do Not Resuscitate written in black on the top of the paper. I never realized three words could impact me so much. The three words could be the reason you lose a loved one. The three words that my grandfather agreed to that could potentially end his life. The three words that helped me understand the true meaning of life and all the miracles God places in our lives.

With weeks of intubation, pushed with medications, and a period of not being able to walk or talk, my grandfather signed the rights of life away and was ready to leave the earth. Of course, the thought of losing him crossed my mind, but I never fully understood or expected it to happen so soon or be a now-possibility. But that day is and will remain burned in my brain and continues to question my meaning of life and my faith. In that yellow-tinted, sterile-smelling room, my heart broke. My strong, inspiring grandfather was weak, vulnerable, and ready to let go; but, I was not at all. All my life I looked up to my grandfather. He supported his family through hard labor as a fisherman, survived Hurricane Katrina, and taught me the meaning of life, to never give and to live for others. Yet, my hero wanted to leave.

 I did not understand why my grandpa’s health was not improving. He was trying hard and was consistent with all the orders from the doctors. As soon as his health improved, the next day it would take five steps back. Yet in that room, where my grandmother broke in tears, my grandfather looked at me and said, “You know I’m not always gonna be here and this is what I want.” Of course, my sixteen-year-old self did not know how to respond. I wanted to be strong and tough, so I held back my tears and was there for my grandmother. But there is only so far a person can go without questioning and denying reality. The three words rang through my head for the next several weeks. The thought of losing my favorite person was frightening and so I prayed, I yelled, and I cried. Why would God do this? It was not my grandfather’s time to go; he still has not seen me graduate, go to college, or get married. At this point in my life, my faith was questioned but only grew stronger from here.

I watched my grandfather be sent home on hospice; hospice as in the service that helps dying people. For weeks, all my family was told was to “make him comfortable,” “he’ll go when he’s ready,” “his health will most likely not improve.” For weeks, my heart just continued to break. I continued to pray and wish for a miracle; believe it or not, I received one. My grandfather had a burst of strength and decided to give life one more shot with a new diet. “What would it hurt, I’m dying anyway” was his reasoning. Little did he know, the diet would change his life and my family’s forever.

More than ten months have passed and my grandfather is a new man. No longer struggling to save alive, my grandfather lost more than one-hundred pounds and got to experience more of life: the birth of two great-grandsons, my acceptance into college, and my upcoming graduation. It is amazing to see a miracle when you can. A miracle that you prayed for, for months. A miracle that would make those three words disappear and a life rebloom. A miracle that allowed me to see all life has to offer and has taught me to never give up because when you trust in God, He will deliver.


The author's comments:

This is a personal piece, reflecting on my emotions and experience while almost losing a family member.