The Gift of Failure | Teen Ink

The Gift of Failure

April 29, 2019
By Britrice BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana
Britrice BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I was dying from the inside out. As my breathing slowed and heart rate dropped, I listened intently to hear what my future held in store for me. The numbers the moderator called echoed in my head, and I hoped she would announce mine. Every time she revealed another number my hopes diminished. Once she called the last number, a feeling of loss preyed upon me. All that I toiled over the months prior were over, and I failed to achieve my goal of making Golden Girls. Yet, my spirits rose when my support system comforted and applauded me for persistently doing my best.

That was the day I was able to recognize the gift of failure. I had great anticipation for the day ahead, and I knew I had prepared as much as possible. Glaring into the mirror, I began to transform, like a chameleon, to resemble the image of a Golden Girl. My heart began to race around my chest as if it was a sports car. A comforting hand caressed my shoulder to reassure me of my ability and the support I had.

The atmosphere was dripping of fear as girls placed their numbers on their hip and stretched to perform their solo. Due to the energy of the atmosphere, my stomach twisted into more knots. Luckily, my phone buzzed to alert me of messages from my family and friends filled with encouragement and wishes of luck. The unwavering support of my friends and family fortified my confidence. Moreover, it allowed me to face the six women who would tear me apart with self-assurance. I put every ounce of myself into that dance, which paid off; I made it through the first cut.

In the second round, my anxiety stricken personality revealed itself even more. The eagle-eyed judges observed our every move. We were like loyal dogs that watched, obeyed, and displayed every trick they wanted us to execute. Then we racked our brains trying to memorize a dance they threw at us. Self-doubt stalked me as I began to question my abilities and knowledge of the dance. Fortunately, my friend came to my rescue by reviewing the dance with me and reminding me of my talent.

Unfortunately, the second round did not go smoothly because I was in my head which lead me to mess up. Feeling like a failure and like I was unable to show my real talent tears began to rush down my face. I started to lose hope in myself. Luckily, my mother and sister were there to be my anchor and believe in me even though I did not believe in myself. They were right to believe in me because I received a callback, so I could redeem myself. With the knowledge others had faith in me, I performed like my life depended on it. Although I did not make Golden Girls, I was not distraught, in fact, I was not even that upset. Because of my support from my family and friends, my failure was a gift.

Through my failure, I was able to understand the love and support of my family and friends. They were by my side to cheer me up and tell me how proud they were of me. Even when I did not have faith in myself, they unwaveringly believed in me.  

We view failure as a shameful act or some terrible happening. Although, the truth is that everyone fails at some point, and our failures can actually be a gift. In my case, I was able to see the love and support I have around me from my family and friends. Without my failure, I would not have been able to recognize the amazing support system I have.

Sometimes we let a single moment be our breaking point. But, what if that failure is actually a gift? We do not have to view failure as our undoing because, in hindsight, it could be beneficial.