The Girl who fell in love with Depression | Teen Ink

The Girl who fell in love with Depression

March 12, 2019
By Anonymous


Depression is a very touchy subject because it affects everyone in different ways. Depression is not just sadness. Depression is also feeling empty or feeling worthless. I know this because I personally go through it. I believe depression is more than sadness. No one ever believes it when someone says it. Any mental illness is not a trend like everyone makes it out to be. It really bothers me when someone turns it into a trend because its not fun to go through on a daily basis. Most of the time the person stays distant and doesn’t talk to anyone at all. As sad as it is depression also can lead to rock bottom which leads to suicide as sad as that is. No one understands how bad it is that everyone is claiming they are diagnosed with a mental illness but they make it out to be a trend. Mental illnesses are exhausting and tiring. The reason people go distant is because they feel empty and drained inside. I try to give advice when I can but I can only do something for so long. There are medications for depression but a lot of people don’t like taking it because they see it as a medicine is controlling their mind and thoughts and honestly I see it the same way. Depression is a terrible thing to go through and I would never wish that on anyone. If someone that has depression or is depressed says they are “fine” don’t believe them because they are not okay or as they say “fine”. I believe that depression is not a trend or a fun thing to go through and it is simply sad some people and society as a whole has made it a trend. Depression is the worse feeling in the world no matter the reason you have it or you are depressed. Mostly teens are depressed because that’s when they are realizing things and they have a lot of stress and stuff going on in their lives. Depression feels like you are in a dark deep hole that you can never escape from. So this I believe depression is not a trend. The girl fell in love with depression because for her she was finally letting her emotions go and letting them free. The girl felt like she finally had an escape from the miserable world she lives in. 


The author's comments:

This piece relates to me a lot because when i'm depressed for some odd reason i like to stay in that mental state for a while. My submission "The girl who fell in love with depression" i'm playing as the girl. In real life i am that girl.