Ten Seconds Till The Chase | Teen Ink

Ten Seconds Till The Chase

February 28, 2019
By brookesockwell BRONZE, Austin, Texas
brookesockwell BRONZE, Austin, Texas
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Ten. The other tumblers and I turn away from the gigantic, inflatable, and red helmet that will soon host pumped up football players. Nine. We jump around trying to appease our twisted stomachs. Some of us feel like the movement only makes it worse. Eight. Our laughing is cut off when I tell everyone to get into formation. Seven. We stare at the locker room waiting to see red helmets walk out. Six. With shaky knees, the football team rushes onto the field. Being led by Jack, they jump, scream, and prepare for the challenging night of competition to come. Five. I can’t stand still with all my adrenaline pumping. Four. We are caught off guard by the smoke machine, even though we were looking straight at it when it was turned on. Three. It’s the boys turn to scare us by starting their booming chant. They suddenly look a lot scarier with the fiery look in their eyes. Only hours earlier they were walking into class with polos on, and now they were about to chase us in huge shoulder pads and jerseys. Two. Standing on our toes, all of us inch forward instinctively to widen the gap from the helmet. One. The players break out of the helmet, and we take off in a sprint. With the fear of being crushed, we tumble fast and try to get off the field quickly. Run-out is one of the most exciting and scariest moments cheerleaders will face.


The author's comments:

This is an abstract perspective on run-out for cheerleaders that shows how exciting and scary it is.