Voice of LBHS | Teen Ink

Voice of LBHS

By Emanisteezery SILVER, Sacramento, California
Emanisteezery SILVER, Sacramento, California

"Love recognizes no barriers" -Maya Angelo

One time my mom was trying to put me in well funded school in  the north area. When my mom filled out the application to be expected in the school she got a call from the school. The school told my mom that since we didn’t live in the right area I wasn’t going to be accepted. The only choice I had was this school around the corner from me called Bret Harte Elementary. This school wasn’t really well funded so everything was crapy. The walls looked as if someone took mud and smeared it on the wall. The only good thing about the classroom was that they all had colorful pictures or something colorful in the room. Fitting in was really easy everybody was so nice and welcoming. I felt as if i was being approached by little angels. Don’t get me wrong not all the kids were nice some of the kids would bully the more gently kids and call them names. I felt as if I was an outcast even though they were so nice I just felt different from everybody else.

As I was getting older I started to mature faster than other kids. In like the fifth grade it was really hard to fit in because to be honest I didn’t like making friends. At recess I would always kick the tiny white ball against the depressing gray concrete wall. At this point I went to Prairie Elementary School. This school was between wealthy and poor so like everything was decent. The teachers were really nice they made me think of everything sweet like rainbows. Even though I mature faster than other kids I always got in trouble. I would get in trouble for things I thought were dumb such as if I didn’t want to answer a question or didn’t know the answer I would get in trouble. At the end of 5th grade they wanted to fail me because they thought I lacked social skills.

This article is about my personal experience with school and fitting in.