My New Year's Resolution | Teen Ink

My New Year's Resolution

By samanthalucero SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona
samanthalucero SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona

I can’t believe how unhealthy my diet is. Instead of having fruit and cereal for breakfast, I have hot Cheetos and Gatorade. My morning snack is not an apple, but a Snickers bar. For lunch, I dive into a bigger back of chips which I snack on all afternoon. Sometimes, I will eat a regular dinner, but I’m back to snacking in the evening with a fast-food treat. What am I doing? I’m only 15, and if I don’t start eating better, I’m going certainly have health problems later.

I need to take some steps to get healthier. First, very six months I will get check ups at the doctor and keep my health, especially my cholesterol in check. Last year I would eat junk food, mainly spicy chips, almost everyday. This resulted into me getting severely ill. I was at my aunt’s friend’s baby shower. I had eaten hot Cheetos with my cousin earlier. We both ate the candy that they had on the table. After two hours my stomach had started to hurt; I tried going outside to tell my aunt, but couldn’t. Once I opened the door I threw up everything that I had eaten. My aunt and her friend gave me medicine to help my stomach ache; however, I ended up throwing up the medicine too. Anything that I would eat or drink I’d end up throwing up. Even the medicine I would take. I had to be taken to the ER. I hardly remember what happened there. I just remember being told by the doctor that my cholesterol levels were really high and needed to cut down on junk food. I was very active already so that wasn’t the problem. The problem was my eating habits. Even though part of the reason I also could have cholesterol because of genetics. Either way my eating habits didn’t help it.I started off with cutting out from eating spicy chips completely. Maybe I’d still eat junk food here and there, but not as frequently as before. During those nine months I felt very light and healthy. I found myself being more active and hardly getting sick. I went back to my old eating habits, and I miss that feeling of just being healthy and feeling so much better about myself and my body. I

I need to cut off spicy chips completely, but this time for a longer period of time. I’ll slowly stop eating other types of food that could be very damaging to me and my body that can later have acute conditions when I am much older. This will help my self-esteem and give me a boost of confidence in me, help me with any desired weight loss along with the help of being active. I will also save money instead of spending it on food that does not have any good benefit for my body. I will have a lower risk of having any type of disease such as diabetes. Overall, I will be healthier, feel healthier, and look healthier. My resolution for the New Year is to look after my health. I know I can do it!