The Day my Life Changed | Teen Ink

The Day my Life Changed

By Britrice BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana
Britrice BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana

As the announcements blared over the intercom, my stomach began to twist and turn into knots as I realized my acceptance letter was waiting for me at home. Once they were over, the nonstop chatter about our high school acceptance letters began again and my palms began to feel hot and damp. I saw my mom parked in line, so I rushed to leap in the car and escape my classmates as they were only making my anxiety worse.

The usual comfort of my car was a stranger to me. Hearing the engine rumble, my heart raced faster with each minute that passed. I muted out everyone and only had silent conversations with myself as I stared at the greenery fly by. What if I don’t make it in? Do I have what it takes to attend this school? Did I say the right things in my interview? As I contemplated these questions, we pulled up to my house.

While I inched out of the car to start my hike to the mailbox, my mom jumped out of the vehicle and jetted inside to grab the video camera. Once I made it to the mailbox, I looked up to see my family standing around as if they had ants in their pants. What if I was the only person from my school who didn’t get into high school? As I flung the mailbox open, a white envelope appeared and I realized this was a moment I waited for and worked for. I deserved this, and I couldn’t wait any longer. Reaching in, I yanked the letter out and my Dad handed me a knife. I jabbed the knife into the slit, pulled, and threw the knife on the ground. My mom commented, “Geezum, throw the knife down why don’t you.” My lips were slowly drawn taut across my face as my teeth appeared. Slipping the letter out of the envelope, the excitement began to take over. After reading the first line, I began to giggle which turned into an uncontrollable fit of laughter. My knees thumped onto the grass and I leaned over with my face in my thighs as I grasped the letter against my chest. Out of nowhere, salty droplets flowed from my eyes. My family continually asked, “Did you make it in?” No words could escape my mouth because of the emotion I was overcome with. Because I was speechless, my brother sat next to me, so he could read the letter. Just as he read the first line “We congratulate you on making it in.” My parents simultaneously congratulated me. Glaring up from the ground, I observed the pride and joy in my parents’ eyes, and the tears start to roll down my mom’s face. As I wiped the tears from my cheeks, my brother continued to stumble through the letter with my help.  

That day came to change my life forever. My school formed me into the woman I became, I learned to have more confidence in myself, and I realized the true extent of love and support my family had for me.

This is about the day I got accepted to high school.