A Day of My Long Life | Teen Ink

A Day of My Long Life

By milap SILVER, Lemont, Illinois
milap SILVER, Lemont, Illinois

"It takes nothing away from a human to be kind to an animal."
By~ Joaquin phoenix

Whoop ! I look down my text was sent to my dad. I cautiously slip my phone into my backpack. I know what I am doing is wrong, texting during a timed formative assignment. But I’ve felt uneasy the whole day. I have a gut feeling. Bzzz! I  unzip my backpack and grab my phone, I go to my teacher and ask to go to the bathroom against her disapproving look. I cautiously creep out of the room to not disturb the other students. I look down at my phone, and I stand there staring and keep rereading the text. My parents are not the type of parents, that if you aren’t feeling “well” or you don’t want to do a test they would not pick you up. So why did the text still ring in my head “I’m five minutes away, be ready”? Did my dad have a bad feeling too? Did something happen to my grandma?

When my dad came into the office to sign me out, he looked empty and emotionally drained. It was a look that has been on him for the past two weeks. We walk out of the school silently. When we reach my dads car, and finally sit down he looks over and says “We are going to see grandma, this is the worst I have ever seen her.”  My heart dropped. I processed those words over and over again the whole drive over to my grandparents house. When we walk in I could not talk, I could not breathe. My Grandma was on her hospice bed, like she had been for the past two weeks. I hung onto the memories of my grandma as I walked closer to the bed. Through my tears, I walk over and give her a kiss. I pull up a chair and and hold her hand for hours. I talk to her knowing that she cannot move or say anything back. I talk to her about my life, and school, letting her know what is going on. I remind her of what am amazing grandma she is by telling her about her beautiful singing, her making us rootbeer floats and the cakes of our dreams.

After a couple of hours of me sitting there, the rest of my family comes. I go upstairs to rest my eyes. I go into my grandmas favorite room the porcelain doll room. I think of my grandma's last words to me that she told me the day before “ I always believed in god, even when times were at the all time low for me. I want you to know, no matter what God is looking down on you, and watching you over. God will protect you when things will get its hardest. I love you Mila, I always will no matter where I am.” I go downstairs to open the door for my sister. I walk towards my grandma's bed, and know that my family around her is just heartbroken to see her in pain. After spending a couple more hours with my grandma, my sister and I have to go. We say goodbye, each with our own time to say what we want for my grandma to know. As I say my goodbye to my grandma, I see her lips move into a small smile. This was the only movement I saw her do the whole day. With that smile I know that she will be okay, where ever she is. As my Mom drives us home, My thoughts are only my grandma.

When we reach home all I want to do is curl up in my bed and fall asleep, but I know I must take a shower. I keep my phone close by just incase my dad or family with text me any updates on my grandma. I force myself into the shower, not wanting to miss a single thing.  

I get out of the shower, I hear the sobs of my sister off in the distance. I look down a see I got a message on my phone. “ Grandma is now an angel.”

This is about my loving grandmother, who is missing every day.