Gloves Are More Than Just Leather | Teen Ink

Gloves Are More Than Just Leather

October 29, 2018
By adonbanks BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
adonbanks BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

To a baseball player your glove is one of the most important things in the world. As an infielder it allows you to make the sliding backhanded grab in the gap. In the outfield those extra few inches and deeper pocket allow for diving catches to be made. A players glove not only allows for those plays to be made, but they also allow people to see their personalities. The outfielders on my team run the gambit.

Our center fielder Will uses the black and grey Yasiel Puig model with the interesting Y-web. This matches his personality... mysterious like a grey night sky. Then there's Call. Call is quirky and has a huge personality. His glove matches that perfectly. It’s a white and teal Wilson a2000 with superskin that feels like the rough bumpy scales on and alligators back. Yet it’s light like a feather plucked from a bird and gracefully falling to the ground. It screams unique when you see it and that’s exactly what Call is. Spencer and I both have very similar taste in gloves. Both gloves are basic color ways yet they’re still so unique. Both gloves are of the highest quality and they are broken in the exact same way. But there is one major difference. His is a Wilson a2k and mine is a Rawlings Pro Preferred. I’m actually the only outfielder that uses Rawlings on my team. But it seems only fitting it would be this way. I’m the only lefty, the newest addition to the team, and the youngest. To many people a glove is nothing more than a piece of leather, but to a baseball player their glove is an expression of who they are.