Bravely Rolling on the Coaster of Fear | Teen Ink

Bravely Rolling on the Coaster of Fear

By DJaymesL BRONZE, Auburn, New York
DJaymesL BRONZE, Auburn, New York

Fear is defined as being afraid of someone or something that is likely to be dangerous, painful, or threatening. Fear blocks many fun and memorable accomplishments from happening during a person’s lifetime. People must go through a process to overcome fear which consist of; Identifying why they are scared, turning their back on fear itself, and increasing their courage to a point of no return. Fear can take away experiences that can influence people’s lives. An experience of mine at seabreeze where I overcame and conquered my fear of riding the Jackrabbit and not letting it take away from my experiences.

I had to be encouraged by my dad and uncle for multiple years to go on a rollercoaster because I was too scared. One reason was the fear of getting hurt from some accident that could happen caused by either another person or a mechanical problem. The fear would cause my emotions to pile up and pile on more fear causing the fear to feed itself. Another is that I hate the feeling in my stomach being forced out of my body when speeding down the first hill. I was also never excited about heights, being off the ground more than ten feet is too much. Loops on roller coasters also make me wonder if they would fall off the track or throw me out of the cart. Going upside down is not an adventure I was excited about.

Seeing small children going on it caused embarrassment showing I was fearful of something so simple. Thinking that their parents would not put them in harm’s way.  My dad showed me the first hill was small just as high was some of the water slide I have gone down before. Also, my uncle explained to me wood roller coasters don’t usually go upside down because they work more with gravity. So, the idea of being afraid of going through loops escaped my head. He also explained the coasters with loops are metal and work solely on mechanics to move the train. After taking out two concerns for not riding I agreed to go on and accept the challenge. My dad showed me it had laughing kids coming out the exit and it could not be that scary.

To face this fear, I had to put a lot of thought and concern and push through the thoughts of fear. I told myself to not let fear control me and control fear itself. After a while of thinking I faced it and got on the rollercoaster. Every second until the rollercoaster started my fear was fighting me but I was not going to let it stop me now. Going up the first hill was very scary as the rollercoaster got higher and higher. Yes, going down the first hill did make my stomach feel so weird but after I was done I enjoyed it so much I rode it many more times.

The reason I was afraid of going on a rollercoaster was because I believed It would cause me harm. Fear was blocking my experience of learning to enjoy a rollercoaster. I had to go through my own mental process to overcome my fear. By identifying what scared me about them, I knew it was the heights, the speed, and the loops. I turned my back on the fear by forcing myself to get in line. I also had to gain enough courage, so I wouldn’t chicken out when I got up to the coaster. After I overcame this fear I joined the fun over and over showing fear that I am not afraid. That is how I overcame my fear of going on the Jackrabbit and not letting fear ruin my experiences.