Side Dish Surpasses Turkey | Teen Ink

Side Dish Surpasses Turkey

October 3, 2018
By brock04 SILVER, Pewaukee, Wi, Wisconsin
brock04 SILVER, Pewaukee, Wi, Wisconsin
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

It was just last year, but I can still perfectly smell the potent aroma from the cranberry apple casserole. Mario and Kathy sit at the head of the table, with the kids on one side and Mom, Dad, Grandma, and Grandpa on the other. Patiently, we chatter at the dining table, as the granola bakes golden. It’s not everyday we get this Thanksgiving dish. Growing up, I thought the bake was a dessert, but boy am I glad it’s not!

Grandma and Grandpa tell stories about their past. As I sit, squished in between my two older cousins, laughter echoes. Mom and Aunt Kathy include their input because the stories tie back to them. Thanksgiving is the time where secrets are shared and dirt is dug up.

Meanwhile, in the other room, the food continues to be prepared and primed. Turkey, mashed potatoes, veggies, are part of dinner too. But the only thing that matters to me is the cranberry apple granola bake.

“Dinner’s ready.” These are the best two words Aunt Kathy can say.

As the plates are passed, the stories continue. I’m the caboose of the food train. With every dish, I take a reasonable portion, making sure to save room for the cranberry apple casserole.

As I plop on a heaping pile of bake onto my plate, Grandpa says, “Are you sure you’re going to eat all of that?”

Without a doubt, I do.

The first bite is forever the best bite. The sour, tangy flavor from the cranberries and apples is  overwhelming, but it’s soothed with the golden brown, perfectly crunchy granola.

Cranberry apple casserole isn’t just a dish, but a platter filled with sentiment and stories.