Alternate Worlds | Teen Ink

Alternate Worlds

September 24, 2018
By Marissaking BRONZE, Auburn, New York
Marissaking BRONZE, Auburn, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

We always seemed to know where we were going due to the towering willow tree at the end of the street. About twenty minutes away from the nearest town it was like our own little place. There wasn’t much too it, other than 2 homes and an endless field of corn across from them. About a quarter of the way down the road was where my family resided. A two story home with a barn behind it surrounded by trees, and to your left a tire swing that my dad built. It was quiet, the only neighbors being a cow farm about a mile away. Nobody really knew we were there, every now and then a car would pass by creating a sense of excitement that would eventually fade back to our daily life. The life of getting picked up in our driveway by the school bus and saying good morning to our driving Roxanne. After school getting dropped in the same spot we had stood in hours earlier. Always being greeted by our dog and going inside to do our homework. After a couple hours of being home a knock on the door would remind us that the only other kids for miles wanted us to come outside. We would hike through the trees in the back of the house or take turns swinging. On some days we may have even played tag inside the corn field with the risk of getting lost in the maze of green and yellow. Shortly after our parents would be calling and it would be time to go and get ready for bed. The weekend was like a parallel universe compared to my home. My dads home was in the city. It was loud and surrounded by crowded neighborhoods who would know what you were watching on tv if you opened your windows had the volume up loud enough. We would all walk around the block to my grandparents house to take part in the weekly dinner. We were met by a bustling home full of people, aunts, uncles, and cousins included. Once it was time we separated into the children and the adults, but after some time there wasn’t really a point for a different table anymore.  After dinner we were always able to convince our parents to let us walk to the gas station on the corner. With the five dollars we each had we stocked up on candy and sugary drinks that we all knew we weren’t supposed to have. And at the end of the night saying seeing you later rather than goodbye because we knew it would only be one short week until we were together again. As Monday grew closer and the weekend came to an end, it would be time to head back to the place with endless possibilities. Growing up where I did had some amazing advantages. It allowed me to express my imagination more, due to the fact that I didn’t really have anything else to do in the middle of nowhere. While most kids were at home playing video games or watching television with their siblings and friends, we were outside in the cornfield and barn trying to catch snakes we saw slither by earlier that day. Running thoughtlessly, not having a care in the world, doing what I wanted to do. It allowed me to create my own reality, my own adventure.


The author's comments:

This piece describes the life I had growing up and how different it was from my friends childhood or even my life now. I currently live within the city I explained and no longer really have the time to run through corn fields. This is my childhood put into words.