First Time Kayaking | Teen Ink

First Time Kayaking

The first I went kayaking my parents helped me and we were at Owasco Lake.  I got in the kayak perfectly then it tipped on me I fell right into the water. I got really scared that I didn’t want to do it anymore so I decided to sit at the table and relaxed. Then I was like ok let’s try it again. I didn’t do that bad until waves from boats came at me,splashing at me and I tipped again I swam to shore with my kayak. This exposure makes it so memorable because I didn’t give up after first time I tipped.

The specific instructions I learned was how not to tip the boat and balance it out. It has changed my life because I learned how to kayak and in the future I can teach people how to kayak. So my first involvement I got my blue kayak out of the truck and then drag it into the water that was ice cold. That day was windy so there was waves in the water, I got my lifevest on and went to get in the boat and I needed help so my parents helped me into the water by pushing the boat off the shore of the bank. Then I was doing alright until a big wave came and shaked the boat, I got scared so bad because the kayak tipped on top of me, and I thought,I was going to drown but I didn’t. I didn’t drown because I knew how to swim,I swam as fast as I could so i didn’t get hurt from it flipping on top of me. Then after I flipped it back up on it’s side and pushed it back to shore.

This experience might influence me to go kayaking more or to teach my friends how too. I want to try going to different places for kayaking like rivers,streams,lakes,oceans. Whenever I got in the boat I would have to wear my blue life vest. Last saturday my aunt came up to me and asked me if I can teach her how to kayak and I did,then the next day she goes to the store and buys herself her own kayak and life vest. My family influenced me to go kayaking because when we go it's like a kayak party because how many boats that were on owasco lake. Their was maybe more than ten boats on the water. Now when I go kayaking it is like a hobby now because pretty much most of my family goes because we pick a day we meet up and just hang out with each other.

When I first time learned how to kayak I was scared because when I was fourteen I was scared to drown but now I feel more confident in me about swimming and kayaking. If I could go kayaking right now I would.