My People | Teen Ink

My People

By Reincarnated SILVER, Chinle, Arizona
Reincarnated SILVER, Chinle, Arizona
6 articles 1 photo 1 comment

"To see, or to not, you're hurt overall. To be, or to not, I will be your hero when you fall. To love, or to not, I am here forever after all."

I'm Native American - Navajo. 

My people have become corrupted and destroyed. My people have become defenseless and weak. We give in easily, but there are young voices that try to uphold against the struggle of falling in. Our young voices try to stop and raise awareness for drinking because my people struggle with alcohol. 

I grew up with my father as an alcoholic. Along with my two half-brothers, they tasted this addicting, mind corrupting liquid and soon after I didn't know who they were. Growing up was hard, because I am the youngest of my siblings. My sister moved out of our house straight after graduating high school, my brother went to the military, and my other brother shut me out of his life. 

I grew up with my father coming home drunk, spreading hate towards my mother and I. 

This happened in many Native families, not just mine. It's struggling because we've become so dependent on the government when they've done nothing but cause trouble for us. 

They found us, tried to make peace just to have us march to a prison camp and negotiate for our land. They also forced us into school, and although I'm happy education was introduced to us, these schools were majorly abusive to us. My grandparents and ancestors went through torture, upon having our language used in World War 2. 

We didn't get any benefits. My ancestors fought in the war and were silenced for what they went through. 

This depression they were put through and the PTSD of ticking bombs and ricocheted bullets, including some dead bodies. That stress of remembering what happened to them killed them internally - emotionally and mentally. This led to the expense of liquor and alcohol. This led to breaking my people. 

It's a darn sad thing in my eyes, because these are my people. 

My people suffered. Their sufferage were my sufferage.