Mission in Afghanistan | Teen Ink

Mission in Afghanistan

By Musilova BRONZE, Tirana, Other
Musilova BRONZE, Tirana, Other

-

I was looking for a book on the shelf in the living room. I needed to find some important information for my work, when one book loosened and nearly all of them fell on my head. Fortunately, nothing happened. To either my head and the furniture below it. When I was putting them back on the shelf, from one of the books, little valuable thing dropped on the ground.

When I reached for it, there was so many memories running through my mind that warmed my heart, but also, which were not always the best. I was playing with that little cold metal between my fingers. A fabric hard rectangle, on which shined a bronze label with engraved initials IE IV and a metallic medal hung underneath. The label IE IV indicates my unforgettable mission in Afghanistan, which affected me a lot. Even now, nine years later, my memories reminded me as if it was just yesterday when it happened. Four letters representing Enduring Freedom rotation number 4.

My eyes rested on 3 different colors of ribbon that marked the 3 states of my experience. The brick red color reminded me of the spilled blood of our enemies in the battle. Or rather in attacks on our military base. Unfortunately, there were many attacks that we experienced.

The base was shot several times. Boom! Destroyed walls of our fortress. Boom! Intervention that sounded anywhere anytime . We were afraid, but we had to get up and do the only thing we came up here for. We had to fight. With the weapons we have or even without them.

We were able to fight, it was not complicated for us. So, physically, everything was alright, but it had a big impact on our psyche. Paranoia, fear of our families, and ignorance if we ever get back to our loved ones again. Fortunately, none of our crew died, which helped us overcome our mental problems.

The second color, sandy yellow, reflected the destination we were in. 'Mountainous dusty landscape' from which there was no leakage. The abandonment that surrounded us. There was nobody, who could save us. We were  dependent only on ourselves. We had to do it ourselves. That's why we were chosen; 100 of the best Czech soldiers.

The worst were the temperatures, in which we had to live in and work, how in the daytime than even  in nighttime. In our black Canadian boots and battle dress uniforms, with the symbol of the Czech flag, there was at least 50 degrees and more. But we did not give up, just for those people and that little symbol on the shoulder of our green-brown uniforms.

And the last part, the white color, reminded, at least for me, the best part. Homecoming. To meet again my family, after long 6 months. To see again my amazing wife, whom I love with all my heart and which I admire that she has mastered it all by herself. Then I look forward to my cute little daughter, my little sunshine. And my strong and clever son, Dominic, who managed to take care of the whole family when I could not.

My eyes moved a little down where I engage a circular object. A medal hung at the end of the three paths symbolized the freedom we have fought for the people living in the wild country. It is the consciousness, that we have been able to help all those who deserved it. We fought for the freedom that everyone should have.

I put the valuable thing into my fist. It has caused me so much trouble, but on the other hand, I gained so many experiences that I will not forget. One day I'll tell my grandchildren a story of their grandfather in military.  An unforgettable experience on the mission in Afghanistan.