Top Voted Memoirs

Here are the top voted memoirs:

voted
#1
Lost and Found This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.
I liked being a mess. The desk that should have been clear so I could do my homework was always besieged with bowls of cereal and spoiled milk, old magazines, and Post-it notes I had forgotten to remember. My floor was a vacuum in itself, eating... (more »)
247 comments
voted
#2
The Swan This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
The warm house spreads an aura of holiday cheer throughout the crisp, cool air. Hoards of family members pile through the front door, with young couples stopping just below the archway for a little peck under the mistletoe. I leap out of my... (more »)
20 comments
voted
#3
Wash. Rinse. Repeat. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.
Beep beep. Beep beep. Beep beep. Wednesday, June 4, 2008, 5:30 a.m.: I'm not sure if I'm awake. I can't see light coming through my window, I can't hear my mom talking on the phone, and the air feels heavy. I feel like there's a thick gray... (more »)
5 comments
voted
#4
The Day I Returned This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Fifty-three missed calls. I looked at my phone for the first time in two weeks. The hairs on my neck rose when my mother peered cautiously from the passenger seat of my father's car. I strained to read message after message of friends' questions... (more »)
34 comments
voted
#5
She Has Cancer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.
She has cancer. It’s weird to write that down. My mother has cancer. She found out last week but couldn’t bring herself to tell my brothers and me until today. I knew it was bad news when my father called us down to our living room. I... (more »)
82 comments
voted
#6
Fifty Reasons to Live This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
By , Cabot, AR
A few years ago, when I was 14, I didn't want to live anymore. It all seemed so hopeless. Everything. I remember. The guidance counselor had thrown me out of her office. That doesn't happen to normal people. Normal people go to the... (more »)
50 comments
voted
#7
Why Baba Hates Chicken This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
We had been driving for hours, and the yellow dust was starting to coat the car windows. We were far into the Chengdu countryside of southern China, and the car shook as we rumbled down the dirt pathways through the span of green, yellow, and sky.... (more »)
12 comments
voted
#8
Move In Day For a Charlie's Angel This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
When I was eight, my dad got a new job, which meant that my family would endure yet another move, adding Kansas to the list of states we'd lived in over the past several years. Driving in our mint-green minivan to our new home, I leaned my... (more »)
3 comments
voted
#9
God Knows This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
“I'll see you Saturday morning, then?” my father asked, his voice sounding needy over the phone. It didn't stir an ounce of emotion in my heart, unless vengeance was an emotion.Finally, I was calling the shots. “I'll try to be there,” I... (more »)
9 comments
voted
#10
What the Doctor Ordered This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Growing up, I immensely enjoyed listening to the old fairy tales my grandmother would share with me as she tucked me into bed. I would always smile when she concluded with, “and they lived happily ever after. The end.” I wish now that her own... (more »)
6 comments
voted
#11
The Elephant Man This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.
I don't know why he frightened me so. Perhaps it was my innocence, childish fears, or simply the cold hand of reality that caused me to react the way I did. But as the years passed, my subconscious began to develop a small corner of long-term... (more »)
18 comments
voted
#12
Milk, Saltines, Laundry Detergent This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
By , Glendale, AZ
I close my eyes and take a minute to clear the cobwebs from my mind. I'm amazed at how I can have so much to occupy my thoughts, but still can't focus long enough to think. Spanish class is last on my list. My stomach gurgles loudly enough to draw... (more »)
25 comments
voted
#13
Good News This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I liked the sunsets. It's corny to say that, but I did. There's something about sunsets that makes them fascinating, pulling; they change constantly, ­depending on the weather, where you are, and how you happen to be feeling at the time. At camp,... (more »)
3 comments
voted
#14
Letter to a Future Date This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Dear Whatever-Your-Name-Is, I'm writing this to convince myself that you're out there. I really hope you're out there. Please be out there. Right now I am 14 and the Amazing Non-Dating Girl of my middle school. This is all my parents' doing.... (more »)
42 comments
voted
#15
Answering Whispered Questions This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
As the teacher's parched lips opened to pronounce my name, I knew what lay ahead. Her cruel eyes panned toward me, and she summoned me to the whiteboard. My eyes darted around the brightly colored room; my mind tried to strategically plan. I... (more »)
5 comments
voted
#16
Riding with Nicole This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
The music flooded my eardrums; there was no way to escape the noise. I loved it. We sped down the highway, laughing at something that probably wasn't funny. My sister somehow had the ability to make me laugh no matter what. Nicole wanted a... (more »)
3 comments