The House on Lakeview Drive | Teen Ink

The House on Lakeview Drive

By Alexis.149 BRONZE, Mcdonough, Georgia
Alexis.149 BRONZE, Mcdonough, Georgia

We didn’t always live on Lakeview Drive. Before that, we lived on Highpoint, and before that, we lived on Peeksville. Before Peeksville is was Ryan and before that, I can't remember. But what I do remember most is my great-grandma, every time we moved she was older. By the time we got to Lakeview she had gotten put on dialysis and was barely there. The house on Ryan was ours, there was no paying rent or having to find a lease, it was OURS. If we had a problem then we had to find somebody to fix it. Now we live on Lakeview and there is a rent. If I had to switch schools then we had to find a lease. We had to leave the house on Peeksville fast, there were too many drug busts too close by. While we lived on Highpoint I had a friend that was going through some hard things with her sister and still is. But even though we have lived on Lakeview for almost a year, I have yet again moved once more, this time my family didn't come with me.

Chapter 1: The House on Lakeview Drive (Vignette 1)

We didn’t always live on Lakeview Drive. Before that, we lived on Highpoint, and before that, we lived on Peeksville. Before Peeksville is was Ryan and before that, I can't remember. But what I do remember most is my great-grandma, every time we moved she was older. By the time we got to Lakeview she had gotten put on dialysis and was barely there. The house on Ryan was ours, there was no paying rent or having to find a lease, it was OURS. If we had a problem then we had to find somebody to fix it. Now we live on Lakeview and there is a rent. If I had to switch schools then we had to find a lease. We had to leave the house on Peeksville fast, there were too many drug busts too close by. While we lived on Highpoint I had a friend that was going through some hard things with her sister and still is. But even though we have lived on Lakeview for almost a year, I have yet again moved once more, this time my family didn't come with me. The house I live in now is big, there are 8 girls there and 9 boys as well. The house is really quiet, even though there are almost 20 of us living there and there are two TVs. There is no yard but we have a basketball court and a small pavilion that has a lot of tricycles and scooters.  There is no garage, no stairs, but there are codes on every door so that they can make sure we don't try to run away or sneak in and get things that we aren't allowed to have. Everybody has their own bedroom but none of us have doors, there is just an opening so that we can walk in whenever, but I’m kind of glad that there aren’t any doors because then there would have to be a code on those as well and we couldn’t come and go as we please from our bedrooms. When people ask where I live I tell them in the vaguest way possible so that they don’t know my circumstances because if they did then there is no way they would understand even if they have been under the same circumstances as I because nobody knows what I think. For the time being, says the staff. Temporary, says my family.

Chapter Notes:

Hi, I am new to this platform if you would like to I also have a Wattpad account, But thank you so so so so much for reading the first chapter of my book!

I hope that the readers of my book will learn that people may seem ok on the outside but on the inside they may be hurting.