The Countdown | Teen Ink

The Countdown

There will be a moment in your life when you feel like time is standing still but rushing forward at an excruciating rate. At this time you’ll probably be scared out of your mind, so scared because for all you know it could be your last few seconds of life. You can almost count these steps in a countdown, one dwindling down to your inevitable end. Ten, the calm before the storm. All is going well it still seems like a normal day you’re laughing and joking like usual. Nine, for a second you think you saw a mistake and begin to feel confused. Eight, you take this time to evaluate the situation maybe you were wrong everything is fine. Seven, you breathe in and look up. Six, realization.. You definitely made a mistake at this point it’s too late to turn back. Five, fear. You know there’s no going back so all you can do is face your inevitable end, but it’s too frightening to even think about. Four, regret. There’s so much you wanted to do so much you could’ve done if you’d only known. Three, grief. You feel sorrow for those you’re leaving behind, those you could’ve told you loved them just one more time. Two, you close your eyes and breathe out. One, acceptance. You’ve come to terms with your end and truly accept that at least you got to live up to now. Zero, the end.

Based on my experience in a car accident.