The Passing Memories | Teen Ink

The Passing Memories

March 15, 2018
By Anonymous

Losing 3 family members is semi-common but in 1 week not really that common.The story behind this is, It started when I was in Mexico for my birthday trip.I went to my grandma’s house to get some medicine I needed the doctor prescribed me and I saw that they were barely waking up so I went to my aunt's house and everyone there was awake already, so I stayed there for a while and then my mom called and I answered it and we just talked she told me not to annoy my aunt I said ok.Later on, like a few minutes later she called again this time she told me to pass my aunt to her and I did because she had a very serious tone in her voice. My aunt was talking with her then all of a sudden I hear her screaming and water pouring from her eyes like a sad waterfall to which I started thinking something is wrong, then I hear her said: “I was supposed to go with her to town”. When I heard that I started thinking that something happened to my grama since I was going to go with her and my aunt to town in the morning. I told them I would go check up on her, then she told me to wait, I did.


There at that moment, she told us that my uncle and cousins had gotten into an accident and that they didn’t know in what hospital they were at. My uncle (aunts husband) said he would go inform my grandpa but not my grandma for the time being because she had blood pressure and sugar and something like this could affect her bad until she takes her medicine. My aunt, grandma, grandpa and me went in a taxi and we told the taxi driver if he could go to La Piedad Hospital, he said yes and we went toward there (keep in mind my grandma doesn’t know what is happening ) as we passed the place we told my grandma we were going to she asked and we told her that we were going somewhere else and she just nodded ok.When we were semi-close we stopped because something happened ahead of the road and it turned out to my uncles crushed up without a ruff and things all over the road.


When we arrived at the hospital we told the taxi driver to wait for us ,so we could check inside if they were there and they were , i didn't know they were until I went in and my aunt came out and told my uncle on my phone that my uncle and my cousin died in the crash we got my grandma out of the taxi and paid him and he left as we entered the hospital and my grandpa told me to go with my 4-year-old cousin that was in the accident also and try to calm him down because he wouldn’t listen to him and he kept screaming for his dad but his dad wasn’t going to be able to calm him anymore. I stayed by his side and tried to calm him down.While we were at the hospital I called my cousin if she could send the medicine of my grandma with a family friend that was coming to the hospital with us.


When they arrived my grandma took her medicine, we waited half an hour to tell her that next year in the summer when she thinks that her firstborn would visit her he wouldn't because he will be up in heaven ,how can we tell her that the next and last time she sees my uncle and cousins, they’ll be in a coffin and her 12-year-old grandchild would be there disfigured in a coffin that they didn’t want to keep open to long for how “graphic” he looked. Then a week passed and that’s when my cousin died he was the third to die.When I came back to the U.S and got back to school the first-day assembly they dedicated the school song to his memory. I miss them but I know there is a better place where's there’s no pain and there is peace.


The author's comments:

Stay close to everyone you love because you never know when they will go.