The Couch | Teen Ink

The Couch

By izzy23_k1ng BRONZE, Elk Grove, California
izzy23_k1ng BRONZE, Elk Grove, California

In this picture I see love and a bond that can’t be broken.  If you couldn’t guess already, I’m on the far left.  I am around two years old with no stress of college or work or school.  This was back when learning was actually fun and exciting.  This was when everyday was a new adventure.  To my left is my Jeremiah who is my best friend to this day.  We have known each other pretty much since birth.  Many say we’re like two peas in a pod.  Him and I had such great memories in that house.  The main memory that I have is the couch.  This couch was not a normal couch that you just sat on, no no no.  It was a ship one day, and the next it was a car.  The couch had wrinkles like an elderly, but had the liveliness of an 18 year old.  After every nap, the couch was our eating area too.  I remember waking up from a nap and smelling fresh homemade soup.  You could smell the fresh basil and the freshly ground peppercorns.  With the soup we had homemade tortillas pressed by hand.  If we were lucky we would be able to help Tita make the tortillas.  Until this day I haven’t had tortillas as good as those.  Along with the good memories I remember the bad ones as well.  The dreaded highchair.  Once we came of a certain age the highchair became a form of punishment.

Tita would say, “Isaiah, Jeremiah! What are you two doing?!”

We would instantly freeze in fear of the highchair.  The way the our legs would get squeezed while we were in them, when we got out you could see the the imprints that the highchair left.  After we got in trouble we went straight to the couch.  For the couch symbolized more than just a place for play or a place to eat.  The couch represents the friendships that Jeremiah and I were able to gain.  It symbolizes the love that was put into us.  Like the couch, we didn’t have the nicest things, the nicest clothes, even the nicest house.  But, we had the most important thing in life and that’s love and compassion.

This piece is a flashback to when I was young and the resemblance that the couch was for me.