That Moment When Your Dreams Come True | Teen Ink

That Moment When Your Dreams Come True

By jordan.post SILVER, Tirana, Other
jordan.post SILVER, Tirana, Other

What is your favorite hobby or topic? Most small kids would say things such as football, dolls, or superheroes. However, I was different. Ever since I was a small child, I have been a true petrolhead; I always loved to study car types, their history, their parts. It did not matter what I learned about a car, I found everything about cars interesting, and I knew that the happiest day of my life would be the day that I could finally be able to drive a car.

Time passed, and I was not getting the chance to drive a car, and I started to lose hope. For a while, I thought that dream would never come true before I became 18 years old. Until…

A coincidence happened; a day after I had those thoughts, my friend told me that he had purchased a 2001 BMW X5 for himself because he wanted a car to use as a beater, and that I could use it if I wanted to. Because my father did not allow me to drive a car, because I was “too young”, I could not tell him what I was up to, so I had to get back in the house quickly. He pulled up in front of my house in the X5, and I entered the car.

“Alright, this is my first shot, let’s see how good I really am at this,” I thought to myself, while my friend was sitting next to me in the passenger seat. I put the key in the keyhole, and I turned it. That was one of the most satisfying moments I have ever experienced. Then I pressed the brake, grabbed the gear stick, pressed the button on it, and pulled it back to R. After that, I looked back, and carefully led the car out of the parking place. After that, I put the gear lever to D, and drove the car out of the parking lot.

I was surprisingly good at it, considering the fact that it was my first try at driving a car; I even managed to not scratch it. Then, after some driving around and practicing, we went to the highway.

“Now, I want you to put the car in Sport mode, and drive as fast as you can.” My friend was really confident in my skills as a driver. I was not so sure.
“But aren’t you scared that I might total your car?” I asked, hesitant to do what he asked.
He then reassured me by saying, “Even if you do crash, I don’t really care about this car; I mean, it’s a piece of crap, anyway.”

I nodded, and pulled down the lever to S. I then pressed down the gas pedal as much as I could. The car was surprisingly fast, even doing a slight burnout when I pressed the gas. The sound of the screaming V8 engine, the sheer power of the car pushing me back, the stereo making the whole car shake by playing Juicy J’s “Talkin’ Bout”, the streetlights lighting the streets in the night… It truly was a feeling of euphoria, as if I was not even in this world anymore.

For a while, I thought if I really made the right choice to pursue cars as a hobby. However, the feeling I had when I pressed on that gas pedal made sure that I would never leave cars in my life; I will never forget a feeling as glamorous as it. It made me feel as if I was the king of the world. For this reason, I still love driving to this day, but even though I was a pretty good driver back then, I have been constantly improving my skills, and today I can safely say that I am, at the very least, an above average driver. At last, I had finally proved myself that my passion was completely worth it.