The Musical Influence | Teen Ink

The Musical Influence

February 21, 2018
By joshua.smee BRONZE, Farmington, New Hampshire
joshua.smee BRONZE, Farmington, New Hampshire
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

When I was little, I listened to whatever my father did. In the car all ever heard from his radio was very loud yelling. I couldn’t hear anything else, not even my own thoughts. Mind you I didn’t know a whole lot about music at the time, I was only six. I tried to understand what the band was saying. A few years ago I finally decided to ask him what the name of the band was. He said they were called Three Days Grace. One line my dad started to repeat, “I'll never be just like you.” which happened to be one of my favorite lines as well as “It's never too late.” and “I'd rather feel pain than nothing at all.” These lyrics lit a fire in my soul to this day.


The next day I started asking him what each song was called and the names of the albums. They started rolling off his tongue, One X, Life Starts Now, and Human. As he said them I looked them up on itunes and I started to download each song and album. When I got home surprisingly enough I didn’t listen to all this newly discovered music. I actually researched more about the band and their history.


Since my dad lives in Connecticut, I took that opportunity on the long four hour ride to listen to every song I had downloaded the day before.  Actually I don’t know if I listened to every song now that I think about it. Anyway, I got home and I have listened to the majority of my new found favorite band. Everyday I listened to the band to and from school. Everyday hearing these sounds motivated me to get back into playing my guitar. I thought the violent guitar solos made me wonder if I had the ability to perform anything like it. I haven’t touched my guitar in a good while. I thought this band would inspire me enough to get going on guitar again.When I did, I felt like I longed to be strapped to my instrument. It felt so good to be back.


Almost everyday I went downstairs I plugged in my Striker and I watched a few youtube videos and in five minutes I was playing “Break”, “Scared”, and even more songs left and right with essentially no effort at all. I am still learning Three Days Grace songs, mostly because I think they are a great band and there are so many songs. To this day I love playing my guitar and I still listen to Three Days Grace and watch guitar tutorials everyday in the car. You could even say I’m addicted to it.


The point is, I think that this band and music in general has something out there waiting for me. I just have to find it at the right place and the right time. I just can’t believe that just one band my father listened to has prompted me to play music again and pursue it. I’ve always thought I could take music somewhere, everyone else thinks it’s unrealistic, but they have yet to prove me wrong.