8 Days | Teen Ink

8 Days

By Nicolas-K SILVER, Tirana , Other
Nicolas-K SILVER, Tirana , Other

I'm so good at sleeping, I can do it with my eyes closed.

The pain in my stomach was getting worse by the day. No amounts of medications could ease my pain. It got to the point where I had to be rushed to the Emergency Room only to find out that I had a “simple stomach virus.” Judging by the massive amounts of pain I was in, my parents didn’t buy it so they decided that it would be best to go to another hospital for a second opinion. By the time we arrived, I could no longer stand up so I had to be carried into the office. Questions were asked and test were taken but the doctor claimed that they were unnecessary as it was clear what I had. Hesitantly, the doctor said “I’m sorry buddy but you need immediate surgery.”

I looked up at the doctor and cried, “Surgery! I don’t want a surgery!” to which he answered                 “I know you don’t but you have a virus called appendicitis and it could really hurt you if we don’t take it out.”
I was rushed to the operating room and before they began the operation I looked up and asked my dad heavy heart, “daddy, am I going to die?”
With swollen eyes he replied, “No Nicolas. The doctors will take good care of you. You will be okay. I promise”
I woke up confused and disoriented. Not knowing where I was, I felt a wave of relief when I saw my parents faces.
“How are you feeling,” asked my dad.
“I feel fine but I want to go home.” I replied, still unaware of what was going on.
“Sorry buddy but we can’t leave yet. You need to stay here a bit longer to recover,” answered my dad.
“How much longer?” I asked.
“About 8 days,” my dad responded.

I spent most of my time sleeping or admiring the bizarre patterns on the roof. Each day, I would repeatedly ask my parents when we could leave. I remember my excitement when the nurses told me that the next day, I would be free to go. That was also the first time I was allowed out of my hospital bed. When I climbed off the seemingly massive bed, I nearly fell over. The nurses rushed to help me back on the bed and explained that because I had been lying down for so long, I would need to relearn how to walk.

On the drive back home, I felt like a superhero, sitting in the back of my Prius. I didn’t know what had happened but judging by the amounts of appraisal I was receiving from everyone, I understood that it was a big deal. It wasn’t until I was a few years older when I began to understand the complexity of the situation. At five years old, I didn’t understand things like surgery. I didn’t understand why I was surrounded by nurses and connected to tubesor why I couldn’t go and play outside. All I understood was that eventually, I would be home.

on Feb. 1 2018 at 2:12 am
BBerends SILVER, Tirana, Other

"No you've got, yes, you can get

What an essay! Good word choice and conclusion.