Celebrate Change | Teen Ink

Celebrate Change

December 8, 2017
By jmoney20 BRONZE, Park Rapids, Minnesota
jmoney20 BRONZE, Park Rapids, Minnesota
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I stepped up to the maroon free throw line. The forty-year old ref bounced me the basketball. I grabbed the ball, bounced it three times, and lined up my shot. I closed my eyes and pictured the ball going through the net. I took a deep breath in and. . .

My 2016-2017 junior basketball season was a good one. I had a phenomenal sophomore year because I let my game come to me, and I was not worried about scoring. Junior year was entirely different. Somewhere along the way my mindset changed.

 

Before the first game of the season, our new coach sat us down for the typical “play as a team” speech. He told us that in order to win the competitive games and to be successful that season, we were going to have to play as a team and work hard. I had different plans and wanted to do everything myself. Since I was only 364 points away, my one thousandth point was the only thing on my mind. I was determined to do everything to achieve that goal. During the season, I completely focused on scoring and that didn’t work out well for me. One night I was shooting every time I touched the ball, even when I wasn’t open. During a timeout, a teammate approached me. “Pass the ball more, I’m wide open,” she requested.


I snapped back saying, “I’m gonna shoot when I want to shoot. I’m trying to hit one thousand points.”
I remained selfish and did not play well. After that devastating game, my parents were not happy with me.
“Jaiden, you need to fix your attitude. No one likes a teammate that is all for themselves and that is who you are right now,” scolded my parents. “The team comes first and then the points will start coming after that. Quit worrying about scoring and go out there and play relaxed.”


I sat down on my stiff, brown couch and let out a sigh. “I am trying my hardest out there and nothing is going my way. I can’t do anything right!”
My dad folded his rigid hands together. “Remember last year how carefree you were and how it didn’t matter how many points you scored? Do that again. You’ve worked so hard for this and don’t let it get in your head.”
After that talk, I finally realized how bad of a teammate I was. I was no longer the nice, friendly, and fun Jaiden the team knew last year. I slept on that thought and went to the next practice. Right away my coach confronted me. “Jaiden, I just wanted to let you know that lately you haven’t been the nicest teammate and for you to stay on this team your attitude is going to have to change.”


Sorrowfully I responded with, “Yeah coach, I know I haven’t been the best teammate lately and I had a talk with my parents last night that really opened my eyes. From here on out I promise I will be a better teammate. I’m sorry for doing this to you and the girls.”


“We know how much you want to win and how competitive you are, but don’t let that come in front of being a good teammate.”
“Yes I understand.”


It was hard hearing from an outside source that I have been a bad teammate. That means that everyone can see it, not just my family. Right then I knew I needed to change no matter what.


During the next games, I started to think that it was okay if I didn’t score my one thousandth point that year because I still had senior year and being a good teammate was more important. After I started being okay with not achieving my goal, I wasn’t worried about scoring and I started playing carefree and relaxed. I rebounded and was giving assists to all of my teammates first and thinking about myself last. The same teammate who confronted me earlier in the season approached me again one game, “Great passes, Jaiden. You’re being a spectacular teammate today.”


“Thank you for noticing. I am trying my best and I took what you said earlier this year to heart,” I replied.
“Wow! Thanks, now let’s go get ‘em,” enthusiastically she said.
Surprisingly, being a team player allowed me to score more because the defense guarded my teammates more heavily, which opened me up.


The season was going well, and I kept scoring. Our team peaked after my realization and ended up making it to the second round of playoffs. I went into the second playoff game on March 4th, 2017 knowing I only had eight points to go to reach one thousandth points, but there was a bigger goal in mind: take down Staples-Motley.
We boarded the yellow bus at noon for our five o’clock game. I was nervous because Staples was a good team and scoring eight points was rolling through my mind. I looked out the bus window. It was a beautiful day with the sun shining and melting the snow away, but all I could think about was what the next twenty-four hours was going to bring.


We arrived at the University of Minnesota-Crookston. I put on my soft, white “away” jersey followed by my black and white shoes. Each step I took towards the gym needed a little more effort and I had to drive my knees just to get my feet off of the ground. This was due to all the pressure I put on myself to score eight points and win the game. The team and I warmed up and as we were doing that, my grandparents walked in with my great-aunt Marilyn and her family. My shoes suddenly felt glued to the floor. My nerves raised again, knowing more people were coming in hopes to see me score one thousandth point. I felt sweat dripping down my back and armpits. Warmups came to a close, and then the national anthem rang freedom in our ears before the game. I said a prayer to God pleading with Him to first help the team win and second help me score eight points.


After the anthem, my teammates and I sat on the white, plush stadium chairs. Our coach repeated his speech from earlier in the year, and I was fully engaged. He told everyone that to win against Staples we needed to play as a team and pass the ball around. I listened carefully to his words and took them to heart instead of brushing his thoughts away. I believed in what he was saying because of the positive effects that came from working as a team. I was not worried about the eight points: all I wanted was to be a great teammate.


After his talk one of my teammates confronted me, “Jaiden, are you excited to score your one thousandth point tonight?”
“I’m just going to let it happen. I know I have next year also if I don’t get it tonight,” I replied.
“I know you have worked hard and you deserve this. Go out there and do it. Lately you’ve been an awesome teammate and I can’t wait to celebrate with you.”


In the beginning of the game, I missed my first few shots and decided to pass the ball off more. Unfortunately, I wasn’t the only one not scoring. Later in the first half, my teammates got me some open shots and those started falling, raising my confidence. Soon enough the eight point goal dwindled down to six, then four, and then three. With two minutes left in the first half, I couldn’t stop thinking about my one thousandth point, but I wanted to remain unselfish. After one jumper fade away, I looked to the scoreboard. By my number the stat read seven points, meaning I was only one point away. The time ticked down. I got the ball, put my shoulder down, and drove straight towards the rim. I put up a wicked shot like Steph Curry and the whistle blew. Foul. Here was my chance. I was not a very good free throw shooter, but reassured myself that I could do it and I only needed to make one.

I placed my right toe directly lining up with the rim. The ref bounced me the ball, and I took a deep breath in and pictured the ball going in. I shot the ball and it went up, came down, bounced on the rim a few times, and then bounced out. Everyone in the stands let out their breath. I looked over to the stands for all the people there to see me achieve this milestone.  I saw my mom, my dad, Jordan, my grandparents, and Marilyn and her family. Also, I saw my countdown, 999 points I’d scored in my career. As I look up at them, I remembered all of the fastbreak tournaments, the early mornings and late nights from games, the countless hours spent on my driveway shooting hoops, and playing one-on-one with my brothers. This moment is what all of those hard driven hours were for. One more point. I can do it, I reassured myself.


The ref bounced me the ball again. This was my last chance before the half was over to reach my one thousand point goal. I checked out the clock which read five seconds to go. All I needed was this free throw. I did my routine again: three bounces, deep breath, and visualized the ball going in. The familiar rough texture of the basketball felt natural in my hands. I flicked my wrist, shot the ball, and swish, it went in. Yes! Finally! The crowd erupted.


My shoes instantly felt way lighter as the pressure I had put on myself left.


Even though we ended up losing the game, I walked away with a feeling of relief because I was a team player which led to more success for the team and myself. I am glad my parents helped me realize my bad attitude, which was negatively affecting the team. I made the necessary changes that overall helped the team be more successful. I reached my amazing milestone of one thousand points, but was more proud of how my attitude changed.


After the game, I brought my one thousandth point ball up to my parents. They were so happy for me. “Jaiden, we couldn’t be more proud of you. All of your hard work and dedication has payed off. You rocked it out there and played like a true teammate.”


“Thanks Mom and Dad for teaching me how to be a good teammate and helping me realize my flaws to help me become the best player possible,” I exclaimed.


After that, I boarded the bus and took my seat. I checked outside my window again realizing the sun had melted away the snow which made me smile. The snow was gone and so was the bad attitude that I had earlier in the season.