A Girl's Best Friend

October 21, 2017
By Anonymous

Have you ever lost your best friend? As a little girl, it’s a hard concept to grasp. What would happen? Does he return? I knew nothing. My best friend would always protect me and make sure I was never in any danger, until one day he couldn't do that anymore. That's when I found myself in the backseat of my dad's 2001 Durango driving well over the speed limit, cutting through dirt roads, the gravel pulling the car back and forth. I would sit there confused, concerned, and wondering what is possibly going through my father's head.

I asked, “Dad what's happening, what's going on.”

He replied, “ Nothing, everything's gonna be ok.” Little did I know my life was crippling beneath my feet; it was as if I was standing on broken glass, testing its limits.

As we immediately whipped into the driveway, he threw the car in park and hauled inside. I followed behind him quickly. I round the corner to find my mother on the floor in tears, my dog right next to her convulsing on the ground.

It was May 31, 2014. It was a warm afternoon. A beautiful breeze blowing, perfect softball weather.  As usual, I spend my weekends playing tournament ball. My alarm clock yelling at me, I got up put my uniform on.
“Bre let's go! We are late!” 

“Ok, I’m coming!” I yelled downstairs echoing through the house.

‘If you're late Coach Alan is gonna be mad!” My dad sounds anxious now. He literally rushes me 24/7. I was running around frantically trying to get all my softball gear ready when I stumbled upon my dog. He was up. He looked out of place and downhearted. Oh, no! What’s going on? I ached he looked like he was just told he has a short time to live. I found that weird but disregarded the fact and just figured he had to go to the bathroom. My dog is deaf, diabetic and as blind as a newlywed couple. I know, not a good combination. I loved my dog. He was my best friend. I am the oldest out of my siblings so for a while he was the closest thing to a brother. He would always be at my side, and I loved every second of it. As I got older I got caught up doing other things. We spent less time together, and I never really thought twice about it till it was too late.

When I finished playing my softball games for that day, we headed home. My dad kept suspiciously checking his phone. I didn’t understand why. When I got home, it finally hit me. Pino was sick. He was having seizures. My siblings and I went upstairs as my parents had to have a “talk”.  When my parents say they want to have a talk, it's probably not the best thing in the world. After an hour and a half of isolation, we were finally allowed back down. They sat us down. I already knew what was coming. They said,  “Pino is very sick and we think it’s time for him to go to a better place.” At that moment chaos started. Everyone was sobbing and it was a hot mess. They had to call my aunt over for support so my parents could go to the vet together.

This was a tremendously hard time in my life. I was totally devastated. He was there in my life ever since I was born I can't remember a day without him, and now I have to go the rest of my life without him! It killed me inside. I said my last goodbye and hugged his warm pudgy body and got a whiff of his distinct smell of Fritos before he went off to the vet with my parents. I wanted one last day with him, just one more day. I had a weird feeling inside of me, I was in shock that this was actually happening to me. When bad things happen to others you never realize that you could be in their situation. Then it hits you and you don’t know how to react. I was upset at myself for not paying more attention and giving him more of my time.

As my parents pulled out of the driveway, I heard the cement glide under the tires. I let the moment sink in that I will never get to see my best friend ever again. I went into my room and cried hysterically knowing my dog is getting put down at this very moment. I thought about all the memories that I had. To me, Pino was a gentle giant. He would always watch over me and make sure I was safe. We had a special bond and it’s sad to see that gone. To this day, I can remember his smile that's a mile wide. He had a very blessed life to live with us and lived to an extensive 15 years old. That’s a pretty long life for a pug. At this point, I realized that some things happen for a reason. He was in pain and this was the only option. We didn’t want him to suffer any longer.

   My parents came home just as sad as they left. At this point, we realized that he was in a better place watching over us in heaven. The doctors said we made the right decision because they never saw a dog go to “sleep” that fast so peacefully. This moment made me look at life in a different view. You need to focus on the important people and stop getting worked up about insignificant things, that in the future don’t mean anything.

Through this very hard time, I learned a very good lesson the hard way. You never comprehend how much you love something till it’s gone. Never take for granted what you have because you will miss the opportunity to spend time with that something special. We all have busy lives but before it passes us by let's make the best out of it with the people we value the most. I will forever and always remember this significant time with me and my best friend Pino.

Similar Articles


This article has 0 comments.

Parkland Book