My Shoulder Injury | Teen Ink

My Shoulder Injury

February 14, 2015 that date changed my life for the next couple years. On this day I had a wrestling meet that made me regret doing wrestling. Taking that first step on the mat you could smell the sweat and fear from both of us. I was staring at my opponent and he looked like he was twice my size of me. Him and I were waiting for the skinny referee to blow into his ear piercing whistle. In that amount of time I was think to myself I’m going to lose. Throughout the whole match I was surprisingly winning but I was getting tired fast. The next thing I knew was that I was getting pick up and then slammed on my right shoulder. It felt like I just got hit by a truck. He pinned me right after that so I lost the match and I was 0-2.

Right after the match my arm started to shake and I couldn’t stop it. I tried and tired and I couldn’t and I was scared. I slowly walked over to my dad and shown him that my arm was shaking. He told me, “You’re faking it just stop.”

I said to him “Dad I can’t stop it because I tried and it didn’t work.” He told me to go and show the coach what was wrong with this abnormal injury. I slowly walked over to my coach like I was trying to sneak up on him. and stood by him for about 10 minutes. I told him that my arm was shaking and I don’t know how to stop it. My coach just said “you’re faking it”

I said “look my arm is shaking and I can’t stop it.”

My coach looked and seen it and said“That shouldn’t happen you need to go to the hospital.”

My dad and I were going the speed of light to get to the hospital and I was in pain that I have never felt before. We finally got to the hospital and it felt like we waited for an eternity before we got in a room. The nurse came in the room, she ask what was wrong and I shown her my mess of an arm. She said that I needed an x-ray as fast as possible. I went with her and did my x-ray and then the nurse took me back to my room and told me that the doctor will be in soon. When the doctor came in she said she has good news and that was there wasn’t anything wrong with my shoulder or my arm. Then she gave me valium and that medicine knock me out like I haven’t slept. After I woke up my arm stop shaking.

The next day my family and I went to church and then my arm just started to shake again. My family and I was quietly freaking out that this is still happening. When we got back from church I took another valium and it knock me out and I woke up with my arm not shaking anymore. I went to school the next day not think about my arm and I was playing in band and my arm started to shake. I was about to lose it because I had to stop playing because of the pain I was in. After band I went to english and I had to write on my computer and I couldn’t because my arm was shaking. So I ask the teacher if I could go to the office and call home and she looked at my arm and sense that my arm was shaking and
she said “yeah but what's wrong with you?”
I said “I hurt myself during wrestling and my arm won’t stop shaking.”

Then she said “yeah you can definitely go.” I went to the office and called my mom and told her to come and get me because my arm is shaking. My mother rushed to get to the school and take me home.

For the next 3 days I stayed home and missed school so I was behind on work and that was just the beginning of it all. After that I missed more than 12 whole days of school and this is not including all of the days I went home. I went to a chiropractor for my first doctor and this trumped him so he sent me to another doctor. Then I went to a neurologist and my arm wasn’t shaking at that time and he said that your arm should heal but he never seen it shake until I came back for a second visit. I came back for a second visit my arm was shaking and the Neurologist got to see it shake. He was puzzled on how that only one arm is shaking because he seen injuries like this but with older people and both of their arm’s shake. He told me that it has to be nerve damages and seclude me to get a MRI. That MRI came back positive and I had nothing wrong with me. By this time I was getting frustrated with my shoulder and my arm. About a year later I went to a sport doctor who deals with injury like this but not like this. When I went to this doctor I had one x-ray and one MRI and they both came back positive and he was stumped too.

About a week later that doctor told me that there is a bursa sack in your shoulder and it’s getting inflamed and it is swelling and pinching the nerve which is making your arm shake. After 2 years for looking for an answer my family and I finally got an answer. Then the doctor told me that it will take 1-2 years to fully heal and be back to normal. This injury is still happening today and has and it effecting me playing football.