Fight or Flight | Teen Ink

Fight or Flight

October 19, 2017
By Anonymous

I've seen many fights, as their anger blazes and fists fly in an instinctual rage. Many kids bully others at school while on goers stood nearby and watched, including myself.

 

My poor, weak willed choices I regret.


After hearing many stories of others getting badly injured and the consequences they had faced due to their actions. Or even the actions of others. I now realize how much of a difference one person can make helping someone getting bullied.


One day my Sophomore year, I notice many students in a large group huddled around something. As I come closer to the center of the group, I begin to notice what I believe is two students fighting. Or that's what it seemed to be. As I closely examine the situation, I realize one student is trying to defend himself, while the other is trying to abuse, and hurt the kid on the ground. I remember old events where I stood by and didn't do a single thing. I realize that something must be done. I mustn't stand idly by as another kid bullies his usual suspect. I push through the crowd, seeing bloody fists fly; I grab the bully stopping him in his act, and pry him off his prey. I kept repeating “It's not worth it” and “Relax, calm down.” As I notice a police officer approaching the situation, I sigh with relief. Handing the bully off to the officer, I am happy with being able to make a difference. Although this is not the only time I had to intervene.


After noticing the tell tail signs of a fight, I began to recognise fights before they took place, allowing me to step in and change the situation.


A normal day walking to the busses, I notice two freshman talking to each other outside the buses. Their facial expression showed anger and displeasure. As the conversation escalates, they move closer and closer to each other, increasing volume and intensity in their voices. One dropped his backpack on the ground, the other follows suit. They both take a few steps back, getting louder and louder, their tone getting increasingly aggressive. I decide to intervene, seeing what is going to take place. I grab one kid by the shoulder and pull him back, repeatedly telling him that the decision he was going to make was a bad one. He tries to pull from my grasp, I tighten my grip. Eventually others notice the situation and intervene as well. I begin to pull the opponent back away from the situation, attempting to defusing the tension. Eventually the environment dies down, the two kids grab their bags off the ground, and walk away from each other. As my heart races I realize that finally I prevented a conflict from happening. Feeling proud yet exhilarated, I walk away onto the bus.


I'm glad I was able to help these people avoid making bad decisions or prevent them from escalating a bad situation into something worse.