Rollercoaster Mania | Teen Ink

Rollercoaster Mania

By emilylaird BRONZE, Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
emilylaird BRONZE, Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania

I was terrified, I was minutes away from riding an enormous, thrill seeking rollercoaster. Okay, I might be over exaggerating a bit, but I was quite scared to go on this not-so-big rollercoaster; but hey, I was only 6. It was a hot and humid summer day sometime in July, when my family and I decided to go to the one and only “Hersheypark” in Hershey, Pennsylvania. We explored the different attractions all day, and we were approaching the last ride of the evening, “The Comet” {Queue creepy music}. “The Comet” is a small wooden roller coaster, but to a 6 year old, it was giant. We all got in line, but as I approached the front of the line I realized I didn't want to do this anymore, but it was too late, or at least that's what I thought. It suddenly started pouring and the car in front of us got stuck at the top of the hill, which only made me more frightened. After about 10 minutes of it raining and the roller coaster being stuck on the hill, they reluctantly shut down the ride. I was relieved. My family and I all got out of line and they were all disappointed, but little did they know I was bursting with joy.  We all proceeded to the huge indoor arcade to play a family game of Whack-A-Mole. For the rest of the evening, we competed to see who could get the best Whack-A-Mole score, and become the ultimate family arcade champion (I lost by a lot). Overall, it was a fantastic day filled with a rollercoaster of emotions, no pun intended. On that one hot summer day sometime in July, luck played in my favor.

This is one of the meny memories I have as a young child.